Zigbee & Arduino based sensor platform

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Zigbee & Arduino based sensor platform

Post by Digit »

Hi,

I've been quite busy lately with making something that should once become a wireless, Arduino based sensor 'platform'.
Unfortunately i don't have the tools (yet) to measure power consumption of what I've constructed until now, but that can be solved :) Here's the latest update on this project:

Now that i managed to put an XBee ZB module to sleep, all i had left to do was being able to put the RBBB to sleep for a certain amount of time (and have it wake up again!). It would be very nice if i could use 2 types of triggers for waking up the controller: on a predefined interval and by some external source (for example an attached motion detector that detects motion). Both are actually equally important, so i tossed a coin with the outcome that i started with trying to accomplish to wake up the RBBB on a predefined interval.
I found an article that pretty much did what i wanted. The maximum time that the Watchdog Timer can power down the micro-controller is 8 seconds, after which it will wake up again and carry on with it’s job. I modified some things so that the power down routine is called multiple times, which results in a power down mode in multiples of 8 seconds. Currently the wake up interval is set at 32 (4*8) seconds and it has run flawlessly for >24 hours now. I still have to dig deeper into the Watchdog code see if my ‘modifications’ can be made more efficient, but for now this will be OK.

Now i wonder what the power consumption of this combination of RBBB and Zigbee module is… should i let it run on a battery and wait till it stops? How long will that be…. no; i think it’s better to find a way to estimate battery life by actually measuring the power consumption. That will probably mean i will need extra hardware and tools.

You can read more posts about this project on my web log of which most were already posted somewhere else on this forum.

Return to “Home Automation Projects”