Roomba 530 remote controled

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
AshaiRey

Roomba 530 remote controled

Post by AshaiRey »

The roomba 530 is a vacuum cleaning robot from iRobot.com. I use it frequently when I leave my house and when i come back all I have to do is to toss out the garbage it collected and I am done. The roomba sit nicely tucked away and out of sight under my furnace. All nice and clear, right?
Not really. Because the roomba 530 version hasn't a remote control I have to go on my knees everytime to push the start button to get it started.There must be another way to do that. It turned out that something as simple as just push the button can be rather hard.
First of all the size of the roomba makes that the design must be heavier then anticipated to overcome bending of the frame while pushing the button. Also I want to push the button only ounce and then return. I made several experimental designs but this one is the most reliable. A mechanical construction driven by a motor, a relay and two switches.
I control this with my domotica system. When I give a start signal a KlikAan-KlikUit module (some sort of X10 thinggy) will swith the main power on for 15 seconds. Then the motor have to rotate only one time and then stop. After 15 seconds the power goes off again and everything must be set in the right position to be able to start the next cycle again.

Have a look at the schematic.
When the power goes on the motor will start turning. After about a 90 degrees S1 is pushed and kept in that position. At 190 degrees S1 is pressed shortly and it activate the relay disconnecting the power from the motor. However, because S2 is still closed the motor keeps turning. The relay stays on because it powers itself now. At 270 degrees S2 drops to OFF position and breaking power to the motor. Because of the inertia of the DC motor it will turn slightly more and stops at 360 degrees. After 15 seconds the main power is cut of and the relay will drop to its 'normal-closed' positon and setting the device again in the start position. Nice!
Bram
Andy_Burn
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Roomba 530 remote controled

Post by Andy_Burn »

Hey, impressive
I have a Rooma 532, same problem.
However, Im going to buy a bluetooth dongle and do it that way :)
Its simpler. Sparkfun and others sell the RooTooth.
What do you think?
Andy
AshaiRey

Re: Roomba 530 remote controled

Post by AshaiRey »

Simpler is always better.
However bluetooth wasn't an option for me because of the location (range) where the roomba is.
However keep us informed about your progress.
Bram

Return to “Home Automation Projects”