the boss is away

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Henk

the boss is away

Post by Henk »

It is common in domotica to have a switch near the frontdoor indicating the status of the house home or away. But it will be just another stupid switch and if your domotica setup is right the house will detect by itself if there are people in the house or not.

So who got this kind of setup and how / reliability ....let us know or may be sharing ideas about it ...

I'm experimenting with this technique by using PIR sensors of course - so far got six of them in house. The PIR locations in the house are important and should reflect the way people are using the house. (like using the study / watching television etc. but also timing is important to prevent false status. Only during the day this sensing will be active - during the night it will be switched off.

Waiting for your reactions ...

Henk
linuxha
Starting Member
Starting Member

the boss is away

Post by linuxha »

I'm going to put in an Elk M1 and I'll have a keypad that you can hit the button to do just that (not it's sole purpose though).

Neil Cherry
Linux Home Automation
Author: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
Mhwlng

the boss is away

Post by Mhwlng »

I have x10 motion detectors in every room (if no motion is detected for 2 minutes, it sends an RF message).
The motion detector signal, also controls the lights in each room and switches off tv/stereo etc..

You can't simply say :
If there is no motion, then there is nobody home -> switch lights/heating/tv/stereo off.

If you're watching tv in the living/bed room and don't move around for a few minutes, you don't want your lights/central heating to go off.

The following approach only works for bachelors [:)] :

In my flat, I assume that the LAST room that had movement in it, is still considered occupied (even though the motion detector detects no motion)
So lights/heating won't be switched off.

EXCEPT if the last motion is detected in the hallway leading to the front door (2 minutes after the last motion, the house is assumed to be empty and lights/heating etc. will be switched off and alarm clock will be disabled).

In the picture, the square symbols in each room are motion detectors (red/green)
The light blue background of each room means that the room is occupied. which is not necessarily the motion detector state...

In addition to that, motion detector based, mechanism, I also check via bluetooth if my mobile phone is in-range. if not, the system assumes that I'm not home (so won't switch on lights/alarm clock/central heating etc. even if motion is detected for some reason)...

(and when my phone gets in-range again, the front door opens electrically...)

Marcel
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

the boss is away

Post by Bwired »

Yes the most handy approach is by combining events and status of devices. I have many devices in my home like motion sensors, rfid in my cars, light sensors, alarm sensors, energie, water, toilet. In my database all the activities are logged. If I want to determine if there is still somebody at home I can check with a query what's going on and do what I want to do. For example if both cars are from home and there is no motion detected on one of my 15 motion sensors, hot water is not running (shower or something) for last 15 minutes, energie usage not above X level there is no one at home. If have been improving this for some time now even check for the time when last action was on a certain device like motion sensor in the hall and when the frontdoor was opened. The more devices you have the better prediction.
I think it's a bit the same like Marcel does. I like his bluetooth approach as well. Marcel perhaps you can elaborate on that how you did it?
Regards Pieter
Mhwlng

the boss is away

Post by Mhwlng »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />I like his bluetooth approach as well. Marcel perhaps you can elaborate on that how you did it?
Regards Pieter
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I wrote a girder plugin, to perform a bluetooth discovery.
it returns a list of all UNPAIRED bluetooth devices in-range

Here is some more info and a download location :

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14891

The c++ source code is included, in case you want to port the code to some other home automation system...

Marcel
Han

the boss is away

Post by Han »

Hi,

When I'm leaving my house, I have to enter a code to a (outside) keypad, to set the alarm (Marmitek SC9000). Seting the alarm is detected by my home control system an takes care of other tasks.
When I'm comming home vice versa.
I don't consider this way of "leaving" or "comming home" as stupid!

How are you guys setting the alarm system? Based on PIR sensor output?

Han Alink
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

the boss is away

Post by TANE »

When I'm leaving my house...I will always put the alarm on.
This action will close the front door and also will turn of every device including TV.

I have also lot of sensors (Visonic) if it's dark the lights will go one.

@Marcel
Asus screen looks good..are you using Homeseer?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

the boss is away

Post by Bwired »

Of course thats the standard way, I also log when the alarm is switched on and can trigger on that. But you must not forget it. I'm not switching the alarm on automatic for now :-) For me the switch still works good, but I'm experimenting with the other options, but is has to be solid!
Mhwlng

the boss is away

Post by Mhwlng »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chak</i>
Asus screen looks good..are you using Homeseer?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">no... for the user interface I use : netremote and for the control I use :
girder

above UMPC is 800x480

of the 1024x768 (tabletpc) version there's more pictures here :

http://tinyurl.com/2mujvx

and some movies here (big files!) :

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mhwlng/nrmovie1.zip
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mhwlng/nrmovie2.zip

Marcel

Return to “Home Automation Projects”