Starting HA project

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
nelsito
Starting Member
Starting Member

Starting HA project

Post by nelsito »

Hi,
I'm just starting to build my new house beginning jan next year!Obviously I want to get the most functions automated,I'll have a technical area of about 13m2 to put whatever necessary to achieve my purpose,and the house will be all wired!

The problem is that I live in Portugal, and i've gone to at least 10 installers and nobody can give me a solution that fits what I want!!!!

So I dicided to look up for a solution and build it myself...if there is someone out there to help me!

What I want is:
-control windows,doors and main gates
-control central heating
-control air conditioned
-binternet, tv,video,photo,music,from a central unit to all the house
-control lights
-cctv
-alarm
-garden irrigation system
-some kitchen appliances

once i can still make structural changes in building I think there is no physical limit. So, can somebody help me in my project? please...

thanks
Niknik

Starting HA project

Post by Niknik »

Ei, não sou o único!!! :)

The problem is there are a lot of different ways to achieve what you want - multiple technologies, methods, products...
Each "installer" will usually try to use the products they regularly use.
The best way is for you to learn about all the different systems, X10, Lonworks, etc. and find the best components.

I was kind of "scared" about using X10 - being such an old technology - but then I got some modeules and began to try it out, and it end up working flawlessly, so that's what I'm using right now.
nelsito
Starting Member
Starting Member

Starting HA project

Post by nelsito »

Oh, niknik...és tuga!que fixe
OLha, será que me podes ajudar nisto!
o que eu preciso primeiro é de um esquema de como vai vicar a casa com tudo automatizado, os direccionamentos de tubagem e quetipo de cabos, que é para eu deixar tudo passado em obra!
depois vou fazendo...aos poucos, que o dinheiro não cai das arvores...lol!
cumps
nelson
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Starting HA project

Post by Snelvuur »

Nelson, please keep it english for those who dont speak your language. So others can benefit from the findings too ;-)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Niknik

Starting HA project

Post by Niknik »

Well, empty tubes are cheap and you can plan for those as much as you want.

I'm not an expert on structured wiring - there a lot of different systems out there - for every price range.
For me, I always planned on using powerline communications and wireless, so that wasn't a big issue. I just tried to keep as many separate "circuits" as possible:
one for the shutters, one for each room lighting circuit, etc.

As long as your have free tubes, and ethernet to every room, I think that's more than enough : but each individual has his own needs.
For instance, multi-room audio/video distribution was not an issue for me - but it may be for someone else.
nelsito
Starting Member
Starting Member

Starting HA project

Post by nelsito »

Sorry snelvuur, I'll keep it in english!
thanks
nelsito
Starting Member
Starting Member

Starting HA project

Post by nelsito »

yes niknik, I want it all wired because around there are a few mobile operator antennas and that has been a problem for most of my wireless equipments!!
there is something else important: I waqnt to do the automation step by step, so i'd like the house to have "normal" electricity, and leave all the tubes directed to de technicqal area! it´s more less like having 2 different circuits, or one inside the other!!
any idea how I should do it?
and still, if...and only if I mess it up automating, at least my house will still be suitable to live in...!!!!!!!!!![:)]

Return to “Home Automation Projects”