Paperless Home

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Paperless Home

Post by DJF3 »

Hi,

Just found some time to write a message about one of my latest projects. Moving towards a paperless home. Note that ideally you do not want to receive any paper and that's something that I'm working on. Right now I want all of the paperwork that's IN the house to turn into ELECTRONIC documents.

Long story short:
- Fujitsu S1500 scanner
- Devonthink Pro software

What it does:
- HW: Scanning, turning into searchable PDF's, storing on NAS
- SW: importing scans, proposing a folder where the scan needs to be stored. Many features like searching.

More information:
- Scanner: domoticaworld.com/projects/fujitsu-docu ... t-scanner/
- Paperless Home project: http://www.domoticaworld.com/projects/paperless-home/

Enjoy!
DJ
BlaDeBla
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Paperless Home

Post by BlaDeBla »

I am feeding my personal administratie to a Canon Laserbase multifunctional for several years now. Renaming the files to unique filenames with, I believe, is an older version of A-PDF Rename. Scanned documents spend their years in an IKEA carton store box (Pappis, €0,70, suitable for A4 and letter size).

I have share on my server with a directory structure like

Code: Select all

\2010
  \Bank
  \Car
  \General invoices
  \Insurance
\2011
  \Bank
  \Car
It should be searchable using Nuance Paperport 12, but I am not happy with the performance of this solution. Most of the time I can look more quickly into a few files than using the Paperport search functionality.

Looking for an application that can place a pdf in the right directory recognizing the letter lay out and company logo.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

Another nice write-up DJ! *thumbs up*
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Hi Dj, thanks for your thoughts.

I'll add my ones for reference:

Using a HPscanjet full duplex with feeder, connected to an AXIS network gateway. It has the profile settings under buttons and shows it on a small LCD screen. The documents go to a folder on the server via FTP.
It's a bulky setup so no going around with it like yours but I haven;t felt the need for it either.

As software I am using DAmanager: http://www.archound.com/ which is WIndows only and runs on my WHS server. You can access it with the Windows clients but since most of our systems are OSX, I am looking for something better.
It's not easy to find something that works and doesn't need a lot of extra time.

Bastiaan

Return to “Home Automation Projects”