Getting AV equipment under control

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Getting AV equipment under control

Post by Digit »

Hi all,

My latest project involves getting a real good grip on my AV equipment from my Domotica system.
Until now, not having 100% control over my AV hardware has always been a pain in the ...; my old HT/tuner didn't support selecting tuner presets by IR, the lack of discrete codes, all those kind of annoyances made integration of it all into 1 remote hard, if not impossible.

Now that I've replaced some of the components, I think I'm on the right track. All the new AV equipment is Ethernet-enabled and -controllable. I can switch them all on and off now, perform any action I would like to, so now it's just a matter of developing a new interface on my Pronto and I'm done ;-)

How I got where I am now, can be read here:
http://blog.hekkers.net/2011/06/12/cont ... -hardware/
http://blog.hekkers.net/2011/06/13/cont ... -receiver/
airox

Re: Getting AV equipment under control

Post by airox »

Hi Robert,

Nice to see you have bought yourself a nice receiver! In fact... I also bought myself a new receiver a few weeks ago, also an onkyo receiver with ethernet. Boy, was I surprised you could browse the vTuner streams on an iPad application and start streaming from the receiver :-) Great opportunities on those devices!

I haven't checked integration through ethernet. I integrated it through IR which works ok for now. I use IR integration for turning it off when alarm is enabled. Nice to see what the ISCP has to offer.

The first weeks with the new receiver did showed an increase in energy usage :-(
Or maybe we were loving it that much that we turned it on very often ;-)

Greetings!

Gijs
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Hi Gijs,

Nice, another subject to talk about :)
Last night (first night with network control enabled) showed a significant increase in power usage; I'm going to monitor the receiver very closely now!
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I did some power usage measurements on the Receiver; the outcome was ehh, well, let's say surprising. :lol:
http://blog.hekkers.net/2011/06/15/keep ... cceptable/
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

So in Japanese slightly can mean about nothing to full power :D
Bram
John

Post by John »

I'm also in the process of getting my AV equiment under control. Currently I have a scart switch/router that can only be controlled by IR.

I'm searching for a scart switch/router that can be controlled by RS-232 and must have at least 4 inputs and 1 output. Does these switches/routers exist?

John
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Update:
I added a page to my website that's showing some of the items that can be controlled/monitored. Only the AV Receiver page is active for now, the rest will follow later: http://www.hekkers.net/domotica/Control ... dware.aspx
richard naninck

Post by richard naninck »

Just read your latste blog page. 44 Watt while listening to the radio is not a whole lot. I got two Onkyo's (5000E and 5007) and both consume at least 160Watt when listening to the radio even if that is done one Zone 2 or 3.

I control both through RS232 and have been doing so for the last 13 years. Onkyo is one of the great products that produce status over rs232 even when controlled by IR or the unit itself. Most AV equipment only produce status when an rs232 command is received and not while controlled via IR.

I also use rs232 for:
- NEC Plasma
- LG TV's
- Panasonic projector
- Kramer VGA 8x8 matrix
- Everfocus camera DVR
- CFSound Audio box
- And I use it to determine which Touchscreen is used at the moment a button is pressed.

I got protocols and command sets for all of the devices mentioned above. They can all be found on the net as well, but if somebody needs a specific control set, let me know.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

44 Watt while listening to the radio is not a whole lot
If i turn on my home made audio system in all 8 rooms (12 channels total) up to a nice background level while listening to internet radio it consumes 10W total. I like that much better. However it isn't as much eye candy as a Onkyo :)
Bram

Return to “Home Automation Projects”