Home Automation - the best functionality?

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Home Automation - the best functionality?

Post by DJF3 »

Hi,

Thinking about many little projects that I implemented in my Home Automation a thought came up: "Which functionality do you like most?"

Example
The ability to control anything using my Cable decoder remote control. Switching lamps, turning on/off TV and decoder, switching ON/OFF my Mac Mini, etc.
This is done using Homeseer and IRTrans.
INFO: project details

Which functionality helps you the most? (and has the highest WAF?)

DJ
xanhoera

Re: Home Automation - the best functionality?

Post by xanhoera »

I can't seem to satisfy my wife (homeautomation-wise), so nothing on my side that stands out yet :)
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

Definetely my in-wall 10" touch screen in the livingroom. Will build in a ipod touch soon on the second floor. Waf is very high.
**Jeroen**
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Here, our touchscreen is also the best.
Information like unanswered phone calls, doorbell, weather, traffic, all available with one single touch.
And control of lighting, garage door, front door, etc.

2nd is our Pronto, for automating the A/V equipment: UPC box, AV receiver, media player, TV, lighting, all on 1 remote.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

I've noticed the WAF factor is in the word "automation". Where most of us guys like to have fancy remotes, the women just want it to work. For example... electric curtains are nice, but when she has to activate the touchscreen and press more then 1 button to open the curtains she hates it. If the curtains opens up after the system recognizes her morning routine and the sun is up and they automatically close at sunset or when the alarm is turned on, then she'll love it.

So as long as you automate it instead of creating fancy ways of remote controlling stuff, the WAF factor go's up.

Yes she likes the touchscreen, to see what the weather is like today and then knows what to wear. And to see who's at the door and be able to open it. Not to have another 40 extra buttons.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Yes, it has to work. But over here, it's not just the gender that defines whether you want it to work or not.
Everybody wants it to - for example, my 10 year old son is a walking/talking issue tracker :wink:

And you really shouldn't automate to have fancy stuff at all (says me 8) ). Automation is about making life easier, more comfortable, nothing else.
Another thing is that the one who creates all this automation, should be the most demanding with respect to the 'working' factor.
No excuses! If it doesn't work for all, then don't implement it or rethink what you're trying to automate.

For us, domotica addicts, the most important thing to do is carefully listen to what the rest of the family thinks and wants to have in terms of automation and do something with that input. Cause if you don't, failure is imminent.
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Over here the WAF goes up when things aren't visible but just magically work. Domotica must not press a clear mark on the house. It's here but not visible everywhere. It just works as you expect it it would do. The highest scoring WAF here is costumized reminders for my wife that tells her in a soft nice voice not to forget to do something.
Bram
soitjes

Post by soitjes »

I knew I was going in the right direction when my wife told me that she couldn't imagine life without the things I develop. Now I have a good justification for all the time I spent on it. :D

Soitjes.
My Digital Home Server - http://www.digitalhomeserver.net

Return to “Home Automation Projects”