"Mechanische Ventilatie" - how to automate?

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

so it would go off 24/7? :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

@Hogerterp
Do you have more info about this device, like price etc?
regards.Pieter
Hogeterp
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Hogeterp »

I, am working on it its a new device i found in a cattalog van Moeller Xcomfort and don't now de price i dit ask some suppliers for it but when I look in Germany its round 300,00.
The sensor has an output 0 10 Volt en needs a power supply of 15 - 24 volt DC that looks very universal.
rwitkamp

Post by rwitkamp »

I did it in a very simple way. By default, my mechanical ventilation is running on the lowest possible speed. When somebody is using the shower or toilet, it is detected with a IR motion detector. A marmitek AM12 is then switching the ventilation to the highest possible speed by simply adding one phase wire to the ventilator motor. For the whoer it remains on as long as motion is detected and kept on for about 15 minutes after that. For the toilet, that time is 5 minutes. I'm very happy the way this works.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

well that is nice easy simple and a good solution... do you also have an option to override it and shut it down completely? (not that it is really needed but just nice to have)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Noel

Post by Noel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rwitkamp</i>
... motor. For the whoer it ...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><b>whoer</b> :-)

--
Never start anything you can't fi
rwitkamp

Post by rwitkamp »

No, I like to let it run at lowest speed 24hrs/day. So this solution is great for anyone who doesn't want an automated total shutdown of the ventilation.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Don't have <b>have</b> to keep it running at the lowest speed 24/7?
rosita
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rosita »

My vent is running 24h on lowest speed as well, I think you have to ventilate
Pieterpaul

Post by Pieterpaul »

I am also planning to have an A10 module (SAX1) for switching my home ventilation between setting 1 and 3 (no need for nr 2).
If I attach the SAX1 in the Perilex box of the ventilation unit, I can enable/disable it with a remote (for example). But what happens if I then use the existing (non-X10) switch in the kitchen? Assuming I don't disconnect the existing switch, it would put 230V on the switched output of the SAX1 module. Can it handle that? Or does the SAX1 get short-circuited? I guess my question is: if the SAX1 is disabled, is the switched output connected to ground?

Thanks, Pieter-Paul
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Hi Pieter,

Here's how I did it.. I can use both HS and the switch in my kitchen to control the ventilation.

Pieterpaul

Post by Pieterpaul »

Hi DJF3-2,

Thanks for the clear picture of your solution. I would not like the fact that you cannot switch the ventilation unit with both the existing switch and the SAIX at the same time. I would personally find it annoying, but more importantly I would have a hard time explaining how this is a nice piece of automation to the misses...

Plus I already have two SAX1's and a VIX switch, so I'll probably make a full fledged X11 solution and replace the existing switch in the kitchen with 'impulsdrukkers'. Disadvantage of this solution is that I have to get a null (blue) cable to the switch in my kitchen (it's not there yet and there is only a direct pipe from the attic to the kitchen, so that may be somewhat difficult) and I have to find a good place to fit the second SAX1. Probably means I have to create a hole in the wall and add a circuitbox. A lot of work, but hopefully worth it in the end.

My question however remains. Does anyone know if the SAX1 connects its output to NULL/ground/blue when disabled? Or is it floating?

Thanks and regards, Pieter-Paul
Pieterpaul

Post by Pieterpaul »

I am lost. I have fitted the VIX10 and two SAIX12 switches (not using the input, just using them as if they were SAX1's. I checked (with a voltmeter - ventilation unit not yet attached) that when both switches are OFF, there is no power on L1 or L2 (righthand connectors of the perilexbox, both are 0V). If I switch the first SAIX (for the 'middle' ventilation setting), 230 V appears on L2 (lower right) and if I switch the second SAIX (for the high setting) 230 V appears on L1 (upper right). Lower left connector (L3) is always connected to phase, just as it was, upper left is connected to ground just as it was. I also checked that when using the VIX10, the SAIXs switch as they should. So far, so good.

Now, when I connect the ventilation unit, the high and middle settings work as they should, but when I switch off both SAIXs, the ventilation unit goes into the 'high' state. I checked the voltage level on L2 and L3 and noticed that both were about 40V (AC). When I detach the ventilation unit both values return to 0V... Is this a familiar problem with SAIX12 switches, are they faulty or should I be using another type? Or have I connected something wrong? The ventilation unit I have is a Stork CMFe.

Thanks, PP
Pieterpaul

Post by Pieterpaul »

Has anybody gotten an automated setup like described in this thread to work with a Stork CMFe or similar device? Unfortunately I didn't and I have had to undo my automation changes. I am now back to the original setup with 1 switch in the kitchen and having to go downstairs before getting a shower in the morning :(
I disconnected all SAIX and VIX's and reconnected the original switch (like the one shown by DJF3-2 earlier in this thread) to make sure the ventilation unit was not broken. It works as it should, which was about the only good News in this endeavour. I found out however that as soon as I connect the output of one of the SAIX12's to L1 or L2, the unit starts to increase speed even when the SAIX is off (and I of course checked that it was off with a voltmeter; changed SAIX units to be certain but to no avail). I also found out that when the SAIXs are not connected but I use my 'spanningszoeker' (screwdriver with light indicaion) in L1 or L2 while holding a grounded pipe, the ventilation unit starts to speed up! When I let go of the pipe, the ventilation unit would go back to its low speed again. Apparently the machine needs L1 and L2 to be completely disconnected in order to be 'off', connecting them to anything (with either voltage or a little bit of current) enables a higher ventilation mode. Apparently the output of the SAIX modules is not completely floating in OFF position, and this does not work with my ventilation unit. I have no idea whether this means my ventilation unit or my SAIX modules are broken, or that this is just a fact of life, but it surely was a very frustration experience...

/PP
Pieterpaul

Post by Pieterpaul »

For your information: the documentation of the new Xanura IMX10 module (http://www.waakzaamwonen.nl/catalog/pdf/imx10.pdf) contains the following text "Please note: Depending on the make/type of mechanical ventilation unit used, additional relays (Eaton no.: 1810 103) may be needed to use these mechanical ventilation circuits in combination with XanuraHome. Before using this circuit, make sure that the mechanical ventilation unit used can be controlled with XanuraHome. Check with the XanuraHome Step by Step Plan for more information. This can be downloaded from http://www.xanurahome.nl .". The step by step plan (http://www.xanurahome.nl/Portals/0/pdf/ ... enplan.pdf , dutch) mentions a couple of AC ventilation units (Stork-Air CML, Itho CVE166, CVE266) that work without additional relay, but a DC unit (Itho CVE ECO-fan2) that requires the relay. Mine (a Stork CMFe) is also DC, so this may very well be the problem. I asked Xanura and they said they don't know because they can't test every type and I just have to try and see if it works. Not very helpful, but I will do so as soon as I find an appropriate relay (and some more time).

Return to “Home Automation Projects”