Outside laundry dry detector

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
AshaiRey

Outside laundry dry detector

Post by AshaiRey »

This is the last and final piece of my Laundry project.

I've automated the washingmaschine and dryer as seen here http://domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8008
Then i made scripts, device and tied other information sources together http://domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8252 to get a near perfect solution.
There was only one item left, how to detect if the laundry is dry when it's hanging outside.

Here's my solution for it
I made a detector that will go from a high state to low when a certain moister level is detected. This signal is fed into a DS10 which transmits the information to HomeSeer.
The reason i use a low signal as trigger is because when the trigger is send to the DS10 this will be in the 'sensor open' state. When it is in this state you can turn off the power without losing it's settings such as device code.

Just clip this sensor at the lowest side of a piece of laundry and turn on the sensor.
When the clothing is as dry as the preset value then the trigger goes of and HS is notified which in case makes an announcement throughout the house.

This is the detector schema:
vocht1.jpg
vocht1.jpg (61.83 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
Because the power concumption is raised by 1.2mA i wanted to use a bit more powerful energy source. I used a 9V batterij
Although the detector will work at 3V i use 5V for it mainly because i couldn't find a 3V regulator. 3.3V is slightly more voltage to the DS 10 so the transmitter will benefit from this with a slight increased range
vocht2.jpg
vocht2.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
The DS10 is an US version at 310MHz. I already had changed that to 433MHz
Here's how everything is tied together
vocht3.jpg
vocht3.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
Some more images of the real product.
Before putting all into the case. I cut off the button area from the PCB to make room for the dector. Then i had to rewired one trace and made a improviced press button. I drilled a small hole in the case so you can press this button with a toothpick to send the address code at start up.
wasgoed1.jpg
wasgoed1.jpg (275.75 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
I had to make some adjustment to the case to get it all fit in
wasgoed3.jpg
wasgoed3.jpg (124.71 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
All done and case closed, no pun intended :D
wasgoed2.jpg
wasgoed2.jpg (115.35 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
Last edited by AshaiRey on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bram
xanhoera

Re: Outside laundry dry detector

Post by xanhoera »

Nice job :-)

Return to “Home Automation Projects”