Alternatives to the Xanura modules?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
Noel

Post by Noel »

As Marmitek is only giving a two (2) year waranty on NEW modules I'm now going to replace all my "broken" modules with something that is none Marmitek...

Modulse (from Xanura) that I'm using are: DAIX12, SAIX12, SAX1, ZAX12.

Anyone here who might know of any good replacement product? Anything (any system) is fine as long as it will fit behind a switch (50mm boxes), and as long as it's NOT from Marmitek.

Thank you for any info.

--
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

KaKu, maar ja...
Noel

Post by Noel »

I forgot one thing.. It needs to be two way (I need to be able to poll the device to see if the unit is on or off).
So.. Kaku is a no go (only 1 way)

--
Akatar

Post by Akatar »

perhaps zwave
Henk

Post by Henk »

So far as i know no other replacement product can be placed together with the switch or outlet in a 50mm deep wall box .... the build-in modules of other technology are mostly 2x as thick and you need a separate wall box. Or install it without the switch and cover it with a blind plate. The traditional switch (on/off) should ne replaced by thin RF wall switches.
Also the replacement build-in products don't have the local switch capability (wires) to use all different kind of switches.
Also the module IMX10 is a nice product to build 4 channel switching controls and no easy replacement.

Xanura has some nice features not yet copied by other vendors.

Henk
Peterpc

Post by Peterpc »

Do they also have to have a lifetime waranty, or only 2 years?
Noel

Post by Noel »

It does not matter.. I just do not want it from Marmitek.
I really do not like their attitude.

--
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wifi</i>
<br />It does not matter.. I just do not want it from Marmitek.
I really do not like their attitude.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Same here; Xanura is a faulty product and Holec knew that. But Holec compensated that with excellent service: All modules were replaced instantly, no questions asked.

With a break-down rate of 4 units per year it's incovenient to open your system once or twice a year, with some non-functioning lights in between, but at least it didn't cost any money. I'm not going to maintain a system that will cost me 4x 100 Euro per year.

I have always resisted agains Z-Wave because I don't want the controll of my house out on the streets. But with the attitude Marmitek shows I too am looking for an alternative.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

Are there any other wire based protocols other then the Xanura X10 implementation which could help here? Is there some sort of non-wireless version of Z-wave maybe, because the protocol seems to support all the needed features...
Aurelia
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Aurelia »

What about Peha? PHC system
I saw them on Elektrotechniek 2009 in Utrecht last week.
Next to Eton Muller.
Very nice LCD display fitting in a 2 elements socket.
http://www.peha-elektro.nl/Produkten.as ... 71fdf40fe9
William.abbo

Post by William.abbo »

MindBender,

With ZWave the control of your house is not on the street, every controler is using a unique code. I think with X10 your house is on the street, X10 does not know where your house ends [^]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wifi</i>
<br />It does not matter.. I just do not want it from Marmitek.
I really do not like their attitude.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Same here; Xanura is a faulty product and Holec knew that. But Holec compensated that with excellent service: All modules were replaced instantly, no questions asked.

With a break-down rate of 4 units per year it's incovenient to open your system once or twice a year, with some non-functioning lights in between, but at least it didn't cost any money. I'm not going to maintain a system that will cost me 4x 100 Euro per year.

I have always resisted agains Z-Wave because I don't want the controll of my house out on the streets. But with the attitude Marmitek shows I too am looking for an alternative.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

The unique code is a 32 digit number, so that seems guessable and therefor z-wave (current version 3) seems less secure then plain text wifi. X10 wired version (Xanura) can be secured using filters. So there somewhat truth to Mindbenders words. I wouldn't use it to communicate things between HS and my alarm panel or door opener.

However, Z-wave still seems to be working on the version 4 (series 400) of the z-wave chipset, which would include AES encryption. Unfortunately it's been over a year since they announced it.
Noel

Post by Noel »

So... Who is selling Z-wave in the Netherlands?

--
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

Not too many shops unfortunately.

I've made an overview of the possible candidates. Does anyone have something to add to this?

I did not include bus systems because they don't seem a fair replacement for Xanura without implementing a huge amount of extra wiring.

Noel

Post by Noel »

Looks nice Post-IT
Maybe you can also make a "module compare" list :-)

--

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”