Alternatives to the Xanura modules?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

Thanks, what would you expect from a module compare list? Availability of certain modules per system? Plugin modules, micro modules, motion, etc.?

If Xanura leaves the market, it seems there is not yet a good alternative IMHO. So why not see if we can make a list of things we would need, and see if one of the systems could evolve and fill them. Such as Z-wave v4.

P.S. Does anyone think I should add Plugwise?
j.hoekstra

Post by j.hoekstra »

If you'd have the time and possibility, a complete list including plugwise would be nice.
ie: I'm looking for some in wall switches if possible, can I use KAKU or is Zwave possible as well?
With a listing of module(type)s it would be easier to decide which system to take...
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

You also have the new KAKU devices (Home Easy protocol) which use more than 2 codes.

My 2 ct's
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

Just updated the overview with some module details.

Looking more in to this, it seems Z-Wave, Insteon and Zigbee could be nice followups.

Z-wave Cons:
- encryption

Insteon Cons:
- international availability (dependent on frequency, would need redesign for EU market)
- encryption

Zigbee Cons:
- international availability (not dependent on frequency, just sales)
- interference with other 2.4Ghz systems (so filters would also interfere with other 2.4Ghz systems)

What I do like of those systems is the affordable integration with other systems using wireless RS-232 modules, appliance modules and a wide range of sensors. Maybe I should have looked in to this a bit more before I automated my house a few months back. I just put in a huge amount of euros for Xanura materials... :(
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

I've done some more reading on the systems, and adjusted the overview again. It seems the interference with Zigbee is not yet supported by real test reports, at least I can not find them.

I've been busy on this for a few hours now, so if anyone has things to add or adjust let me know. If someone wants Plugwise, KNX, Xcomfort or others in there... send me the info and I'll put it in the overview. For now it's time to do other things ;-)
William.abbo

Post by William.abbo »

Post-IT,

An update for your good list: ZWave has also in-wall switches for the EU-market.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Post-IT
great list..indeed only the zwave wall switches need to be added.(Act, Duwi and Merten )

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Enver
http://twitter.com/Chak64%20My%20Domoti ... dware.html<i> My Domotica Hardware Software</i></font id="size1">
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

I have adjusted the overview.

Just got a reply from Zensys, the new development kit for the version 4 chip will be available by the end of December 2009.

Looking at the modules already available for ZigBee (although most of them are from the US), ZigBee seems the one with the head start on the market. Z-wave will still have to make EU and US versions of their modules, as their 2.4Ghz solution in the new version 4 is not the best solution. In their documentation they state it's best to use the lower frequencies for better reliability, and only use 2.4Ghz if needed (i.e. Asia).
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

Nice overview! One addition: X10 can be two way, e.g. the micromodules from Marmitek. And maybe you could include PLCBus also.

Rene.
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

I'll include the partial 2-way for X10 in the next update. Do you really think PLCBus is a fair alternative for Xanura? I haven't looked in to that technique yet, but as far as I know you need a complete rework done on wiring. If you'd like it in the overview, could you give me the details so I can put it in?

The only alternative I know of which makes use of current wiring is UPB (Universal Power Bus), but that one is so immature, it's not even worth mentioning in the overview.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I use PLCBUS and i'm satisfied with it. I have more PLCBUS then X10/A10. It has some of the same bad habits of X10/A10 but it's faster and in my situation very reliable without filters. No additional wiring needed !! There's even a forum about PLCBUS somewhere :-)
I will try to collect some info for the overview this weekend.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Robert
http://www.hekkers.net <i>Digit's Online Home.</i></font id="size1">
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

did anyone looked into jung RF modules? I noticed them yesterday at a building site but was unable to get more info.
marunga
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by marunga »

Hi,

I use X10 modules from China (not only "made in china", but from a Chinese brand: www.taiyito.com ).
These micro-modules are 2way, you can get their status, and I have them installed in my house (all 17 lamps) for almost 2 years, without problems. Also have their encrypted remote and receiver. Another module I have is a IR-X10 Transceiver (used to send IR signals from X10 software/remotes).

The price was the best part, around 10 Euros each micro-module, excluding shipping and bank transfer.

regards,
m
jakkes

Post by jakkes »

It looks promissing Marunga...
What modules did you buy?
marunga
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by marunga »

Hi,

Currently, I have the following modules installed and working:

TDXE 4401 : Lamp dim modules
TDXE 4404 : Appliance/lamp micro-modules (controls 2 low power appliances)
TDXE 4202 : Appliance/lamp micro-modules (2200W)
TDXE 6436 : X10->IR
TDXE6648+ and TDXE6438+ : encrypted remote and receiver (with the receiver you can also control other X10)

Also have some scene modules, but don't use them.
You can also use the remote to check the modules status (it has a LCD display).

Of course, as with almost everything Chinese, the instructions/manuals are a real puzzle. You must have some experience with Domotica/Electricity/DIY.

regards,
m

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”