Old Marmitek CM11/TM13 better than new Home Control Box?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
Dennis
Starting Member
Starting Member

Old Marmitek CM11/TM13 better than new Home Control Box?

Post by Dennis »

Dear all,

My X10 setup in my house is working very reliable. Basically it sends out it's messages using a old CM11 (purchased in 2003) and TM13 (using the RF remote). I was always blessed with rather clear powerlines. Only one filter was required to decouple my Samsung LCD TV from the X10-net.

Last week I purchased a Home Control Box. In the first place I like it very much, simple to setup, simple to use, low power consumption, etc. I have to admit it can be slow, but that is no issue for me (yet).

However from the start I experienced a strange problem. One group in my house (which is feeding the front living room) seems unaccessible by the HCB. The HCB is connected centrally to group 12, my front living room to groep 9.

Strange thing is that X10 signals send out by the TM13 RF tranceiver in the front living room on group 9 will easily reach the HCB on group 12 (it reports the status change on the switches), but not vice versa.

When I connect the HCB in the front living room I can control everything on group 9, but not the other groups.
When I connect the HCB in my garage I can still access all X10 switches, except on group 9.

I even switched everything off (all groups except 9 and 12 + all devices on 9 and 12). Still the same issue.

Anybody any idea what is causing this effect? Normally I would accept the advice to place more filters or amplifiers. But why is the CM11 / TM13 then working as a charm? It the signal from the HCB much weaker?

Thanks,

Dennis
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Old Marmitek CM11/TM13 better than new Home Control Box?

Post by Bwired »

Did you try and place the HCB at the exact same place and outlet where your CM11 was?
The HCB uses the Xanura CTX15 (Internal glued in) for communicating.
Dennis
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Dennis »

Yes, after testing the HCB in my study I placed it next to the distribution panel (centrally in the 'meterkast'), replacing the CM11. That's when the problem was discovered...

What's the main difference between a CTX15 and a CM11? Is there some (software) adjustment of the internal CTX15 possible? I just cannot believe a CTX15 is performing less than an old CM11...

At the moment I have the CM11 doing the stuff again. Of course without missing a single X10 event.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

If that is the case I can't explain it other then that its hardware related. The CTX15 should be better then the CM11, but its also important how its connect and with what kind of electronic solution. I think the HCB is reacting differently and in your case more sensitive to disturbance in the powerline.
I think you need to contact home automation Europe.
We also have an HCB expert on this forum, his name is Henk, he will read this guess.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Using a PMIX35 X10 data analyzer is the way to get an idea what is causing the problem - you can check the X10 signal strength at the HCB and at the specific group.
It may be a signal strenght problem. The HCB CTX15 should send the X10 signal on a 5V X10 signal level - also a possibility that something in that group is weakening the X10 signal. (defective module or external devices) I agree it is strange that the CM11 is working well. You may replace the HCB by another one if that is possible.

If you don't have access to a PMIX35 - you may set up the next test: ( I think you did already some of it)
Disconnect as many devices in your home as posssible ...also remove all X10 devices as possible.
Place only the HCB (meterkast) and one X10 device in the specific group and do some testing
If this works add more devices and modules and do regular a test.

Henk
Dennis
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Dennis »

Thanks for all advice. I'm considering buying a PMIX35... I'm planning to extend my X10 setup. Might run into similar problems in the future.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Hi Dennis,

You may borrow my PMIX35 but I'm bqck in Holland by mid februari in case you can wait let me know

rergards, Henk
Dennis
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Dennis »

Henk,

Thanks for the offer! However meanwhile I did purchase an PMIX35 before reading your message. I guess I need some time to figure out what is exactly wrong and have to do some tests. Besides I cannot always find the spare time to work on my x10 setup.

Already got some questions on the PMIX35 (but perhaps I should open a new thread for that):
- Anybody got this device running on Windows 7? I managed to find the Win7 compliant driver. Xanura's CTX15 test software recognizes the PMIX35, but only seems to run fine for a few commands. After that it seems that some buffer is overloaded. Then only a reset of the PMIX35 will do the job. The PMIX35 control software however never succeeds in making contact to the PMIX35. Running the whole setup on VMware also did not solve the job. It forced me to re-install a spare laptop to Win XP SP3. At least (after one evening of trying various alternatives) that everything work as desired.
- I understand a 5V X10 level is default, but what are acceptable levels after going from one group to another? At what level does a X10 module stop picking up the correct signals? The Xanura manuals are not very clear on that of details, but in my opinion you do need them in order to valuate the x10 signal throughput.

Dennis
Henk

Post by Henk »

Hi.

I got the PMIX35 working with Windows version 7 - but you need a special driver SIiabs /CP210 i got it working but dont ask me how ..
The minimum signallevel of an X10 signal should be more than 100mV, lower values may work but the reliability is much less.
Let me know where you are living .. i may give you a visit ...

regards, Henk

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”