A lot of Sensors

Forum about 1-Wire devices.
Mikhael
Starting Member
Starting Member

A lot of Sensors

Post by Mikhael »

I am ever in the hunt for a monitoring solution for my setup.
I want to monitor and carry out events (in homeseer) based on data collected. IE temperature, humidity, door/window open ect.

my problem seems reletively simple until you account for the amount of sensors I would like to poll for data. 500+ reliably without draining system recources down to nothing.

Recap of desired setup.
Know the state of try contacts: IE door/windows open/closed
temp and humidity of each zone (5+ zones.)
Is this even doable? I read that the HA7Net can utilize up to 200. but can it do this simultaniously and reliably? I dont want a door to close but not know it because a window was opened at the same time.
Mikhael
Starting Member
Starting Member

A lot of Sensors

Post by Mikhael »

Really? 30 something views and no one knows the answer to this?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

A lot of Sensors

Post by Bwired »

Hi Mikhael,
500+ ? I really don't know if it is possible with just one controller, I think you will need more then one. Then I think 1-wire is not so suitable for getting the door status etc if you want it immediately. My 1-wire system is reliable but not that fast on polling the line. I'm not sure how fast the HA7net is. Best option is to mail the suppliers and as your question, then we know it also :-)
Pieter
Mikhael
Starting Member
Starting Member

A lot of Sensors

Post by Mikhael »

I dont mind using multiple controllers as long as they can all be polled accordingly. and I also dont need the data immediately I just need it within a few seconds (less than 10) is this doable with a properly designed 1-wire system? and if so what do you think i will need in order to do this. also I really only want to use on computer if at all possible.
bjorn
Starting Member
Starting Member

A lot of Sensors

Post by bjorn »

I thought I had a lot when I am planning to use about 60 1-wire devices...

I don't think you will be able to have 500 devices on a single bus due to the electrical drain. But if you use a couple of DS2409 network couplers I think you'll get it to work fine. This will also increase response times when polling. If your requirement is less then 10s response times then you will absolutely have no problems. The response time can be fairly accurately calculated (I don't remember the details right now, but could maybe check it later for you).

To improve response times for switches you could use devices that supports conditional search, e.g. the DS2408 8-Channel Addressable Switch, instead of the DS2405 Addressable Switch. (The DS2408 is however naturally much more expensive than the DS2405.)

Also I recommend that you familiarize your self with the network design guides, which you probably have done already.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A lot of Sensors

Post by Digit »

Hi,

I did some tests this evening with my brand new HA7Net.
I attached 4 sensors to it:

- 2 parasite powered DS18S20 sensors to port 1.
- 2 externally (HA7Net) powered DS18S20 sensors to port 2.

The only command used was the ReadTemperature command.
Here are the average times in seconds it took to read the temperatures:

Port 1, reading each sensor separately:

1 sensor : 1.5
2 sensors: 3.0

(give or take 0.1 seconds...)

Port 2, reading each sensor separately:

Reading sensors from both ports gave the following times:

3 sensors: 4.5
4 sensors: 6.0

Furthermore, the ReadTemperature command has the ability to post an array of Addresses, so i tested that also:

Mixing both ports, reading >1 sensors with a single ReadTemperature command:

2 sensors: 2.4
3 sensors: 3.5
4 sensors: 4.6

Maybe this will help you, although it's limited to only temp sensors...

Regards,
Robert.
miles
Starting Member
Starting Member

A lot of Sensors

Post by miles »

Hi,

You should be able to do that with smartKONTROL sensors (see www.ciseco.co.uk)

The dev boards support loads of I/O channels so you could for example put 6 DS18B20 temp sensors on one board and 6 relays or any combination. You might not need 500 boards maybe 50-100 and share what they do.

Theroretically you should be able to communicate to 1302 (250Kbps/2 x 12byte commands) sensors in any one second, I doubt that's actually possible but it's miles ahead of the speed of 1 wire.

Cheers

Miles

Return to “1-Wire Forum”