Energy, gas and water monitoring

Forum about 1-Wire devices.
zass
Starting Member
Starting Member

Energy, gas and water monitoring

Post by zass »

Hi,

Since a few days I've received my hobby-boards.com 1wire boards. I've already got temperature monitoring up and running via a 1 minute crontab perl script that uses digitemp and mysql.
Now I'm wondering how to monitor my energy, gas and water consumption. I've heard about reed sensors and monitoring of the flashing light on the energy meter. The latter via a Velleman MK120 board and a hobby boards counter (of which I already have bought 2).
Can anybody explain to me which reed sensor I need to buy and how I should connect them to the counters of the water- and gas meters, and the same with the Velleman MK120 board? I think I need a sensor as well for sensing if the high or low energy consumption meter is in use.
I have the following meters:

I'm thinking of using OWFS, since I did not find any other suitable program to monitor these meters. Tips are welcome!

Thank you
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Energy, gas and water monitoring

Post by drmacchi »

OT, and just my 2 cts. Do you have electrical stuff near the gas device? (it seems from your pictures). I would be carefull :)
zass
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by zass »

The wires hanging there are for telephone, internet and cable TV. No electricity ;). I have multiple connections for gas, electricity and water (and telephone+internet) in the same small area because I live in an apartment building.
Still the question remains: which reed sensors? And light sensors?
Is the Velleman MK120 as built by bwire (http://www.bwired.nl/How_stroom.asp) an option with the hobby boards counters?
Henk

Post by Henk »

Electricity - usage - your meter will generate 600 light pulses/kwh - get a light sensitive sensor module feeding your 1 wire module like the instructions on bwired

Electricity status again using another light sensitive sensor monitoring one of the two green led indicators presenting the status

Gas: check for a little mirror in either the six or zero of the right hand digit disc - again a light sensitive sensor to monitor the passing of this mirror and feeding it into 1-wire . If there is no mirror presents it will not be easy to get this meter online

Water: in case this meter has a red of black wheel - rotating when water will be consumed - again a light sensitive sensor may detect the rotations but it will be very sensitive and not easy to accomplish.

good luck,

Henk

Return to “1-Wire Forum”