Forum about 1-Wire devices.
promy
Starting Member
Starting Member

1-wire - ds2423 crazy counts?

Post by promy »

I used the following schematic (
http://www.hetgrensland.be/IMG_0621.JPG
) for my dual counter. (i use this 2 times, so 4 counters in total)
The strange thing is the following:
I have 3 watermeters with pulse (reed contact) (aquatel), of which 2 are already connected, and 1 wire ready to connect a s0 of a kWh counter.

For the connection i use audio jacks.
Now, when I connect the first watermeter, everything works fine. This watermeter is nearby, so i could place the audio jack directly at the cable of the pulse contact.
The second watercounter (the cable was lenghtend with belgacom cable) however starts counting fast when i connect it to the audio jack... I tried all of the 4 ports - all 4 work perfect with the first watermeter and give the same problem with the 2nd. (i tried it with and without the first one connected) i checked the cable and (because the magnet isn't under the reed contact) there is no connection, but it still counts :?: :?:

now for the verys strange thing...
the 2 other cables that are placed, but not connected at the other end, have the same problem... one of them is a belgacom cable (telephone) and the other one is utp cat 5. (i checked these cables with my multimeter, and there is no connection on them...
So i tried connecting a audio jack with no cable connected, and that works normal (no counts)

The only thing i could think of is that all these wires run along 2 normal 240V power cords, but even then, the cat 5 should not have a problem with this??
Does anyone know what the problem could be???
erisan500

Re: 1-wire - ds2423 crazy counts?

Post by erisan500 »

Use shielded cable, that protects you better from EMI interference. I saw the same problem with UTP CAT5. You can use CAT5 cable in some environments but you have to use them in pairs (ex: orange +5V, orange/white GND, blue sensor, blue/white GND)
promy
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by promy »

I'll give it a try. The cat cable, i used the blue and blue/white pair
Peterpc

Post by Peterpc »

Or add a little capacitor at the end of your cable to get rid of the noise.
Peter
http://www.pcgsm.nl/
thechad
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by thechad »

I have seen this with my water counter too.

So is the issue on the sensor side or on the one wire network side?

I use an Elster water meter with a small counter probe and it comes with 4 code unshielded cable (~3m).

From the counter back to the one wire hub, I am using cat6 across the 1-wire network.

Return to “1-Wire Forum”