Actaris ACE3000 + S0 output + counter

Forum about 1-Wire devices.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

@jfn: it's working :-) how do you achieve to have so little energie consumption, specially at night?
Pieter
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Yeah, come on, give us some tips! Around 50W at night...how...your GLY2 will use around 30, so that leaves 20W for...???
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

I just count the pulses that are generated by the electricity meter and every pulse counted means I used 0,001 KWh. I checked the display that is on the meter and it seems that my counts are accurate. The meter does not give out decimals, but when I notice that the amount of pulses counted nears 1000 I see the KWh meter jump to the next digit.

So what equipment is using power here during the night?
I disconnect all equipment I do not need at night (PC, TV etc ...). Even the oven is disconnected from the mains as I use a combi-magnetron (microwave + heated-air).

The only equipment that is connected to the mains at night is the mini-PC, cable-modem, router and a few small switched power-supplies. All are connected to a small UPS. My Conrad energy meter (http://www.conrad.nl/goto/?product=125319) tells me this combination uses about 60W.

As the electricity-company is charging me based on their meter and not on the Conrad meter, I trust the Actaris to be accurate.

Als het niet gerepareerd kan worden dan is het niet kapot!
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

I checked the electricity meter again, because I am starting to doubt whether my measurements are really accurate.

I think that the energy values that are displayed in my graphics are a factor 2 too low.

Although the meter says it outputs 1000 imp/KWh, the writing on the meter tells me the S0 output outputs pulses at a rate of dRa (delta Ra). Ra is specified on the meter as 500 imp/KWh.

I did some measurements and found out that the meter is indeed outputting 1000 pulse/KWh, but the 'led' (The meter has an LCD with a blinking dot) blinks twice before the counter gets incremented.

I am watching the meter closely now. I will be noting down meter-values and counter values to verify against each other to get a 100% confirmation. For now I adjusted the values displayed in the graphics (Had to change a divide by 1000 to a dive by 500).

I will let you know when I have 100% confirmation of my findings.

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I think there is something to find out there.
Do you have a normal living like a dutch familyhouse?
Don't you have a fridge, freezer, HVAC, doorbell, house ventilation system, tv equipment like a video, outside night lights, phones etc.
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

I checked again and the counter is counting correctly, but as I expected it counts 500 impulses/KWh, not 1000.

So readings are fine, and the graphic that is shown is ok now.

You are right about the fridge, but besides that only the domotica-PC and some power-adapters are consuming energy at night. That sums to about an average 100W. A peak towards 140W is I think the central heating system switching on to keep the temperatures at 15 degrees celcius.

Bonzo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Bonzo »

I'd love to know more about the way you connected your system to the S0 output..
I assume you're using a 1-Wire counter? Maybe the DS2423?
My electricity meter is a Landis+Gyr ZME120AC with a S0 output, but I assume the connections are the same..
(PDF: http://www.nepa-ru.com/Landys+Gyr_files ... ata_en.pdf)

I'm using the DS2423 based counter from Hobby-Boards.com
Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure how I should connnect it.
I'm not even sure if I should supply power to the S0 wires or not.
It's very hard to find much info about this.
Thank you in advance!
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

According to the specs of your meter: Apply 24DC to the S0+ terminal of the uility-meter like this:

DC 24V ---> resistor 1K8 ---> S0+ terminal of the utility meter.

A lower voltage will probably also work (Should you have an old 19V notebook adapter lying around, use that).

Indeed you need to apply a DC voltage to the S0+ terminal. The S0 system is actually an opto-coupler. With every pulse, current will flow from the S0+ to the S0- terminal.

The 1K8 resistor is just there as a current-limiter (Omitting it will short-circuit the S0 terminals).

The S0- terminal can be connected directly to the counter input (I use a Dallas DS2423 based counter by Hobby Boards).

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Als de hemel valt zijn ook alle mussen dood</font id="size1">
marck

Re: Actaris ACE3000 + S0 output + counter

Post by marck »

I have a, more of less, similar meter; The Landis+Gyr ZME120ACd.

Is it also possible to read out the infrared LED on the front of the device.

The electricity company has already installed and sealed the meter, therefore I can't use the S0 bus on the backside of the device, :(

landisgyr.eu/apps/products/data/pdf1/La ... ata_EN.pdf

Rg
Marck

Return to “1-Wire Forum”