Fingerprint Lock - advise?

Forum with questions and discussions about security or security devices like Marmitek, Elro Elk (other then Visonic)
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Fingerprint Lock - advise?

Post by DJF3 »

Team,

Not having seen recent information I wanted to ask your opinion about Fingerprint locks
Goal: Easy (keyless) access to my garage (which has 2 large doors)
Only requirement: Fingerprint. Don't care about bluetooth, apps or Home Automation integration (even though that would be nice)

So far I found these options:
REX Cylinder http://www.navkom.si/en/rex-cylinder/
+ simple design, small, no keypad
price: approx € 450,-
Burg Wachter 5012 burg.biz/html/default/ae23c9fb2e710c580 ... f7.en.html
+ easy mounting, price
- separate fingerprint scanner + code panel (don't care) + display (don't care)
price: approx € 350,-

The REX Cylinder looks very interesting to me.. Any experiences with this product?

Cheers
DJ
raymonvdm

Re: Fingerprint Lock - advise?

Post by raymonvdm »

I have seen some of these, there are outdoor and POE powered

https://www.supremainc.com/en/AccessCon ... BioEntry-W

Note: This is only the authentication device. It also needs an actuator/lock to open the door. But you can choose any lock which supports opening by 12/24v
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

raymonvdm wrote:I have seen some of these, there are outdoor and POE powered
https://www.supremainc.com/en/AccessCon ... BioEntry-W
Note: This is only the authentication device. It also needs an actuator/lock to open the door. But you can choose any lock which supports opening by 12/24v
Thanks for the update. Turns out I'm not looking for a device that turns the key, only something that 'unlocks' opening the key. (lower battery consumption, less moving parts)

DJ
olof

Post by olof »

W.r.t. to the Rex (or any other fingerprint reader for outdoor use), there are a couple of issues to be aware off if you are going to install it on an outside door:

1. What is its IP rating? I could not find any IP rating for the REX so not sure how weather-proof the thing is for outside usage. I did find a "operating humidity: up to 100%' but not sure that is the same as a proper IP65 rating or higher.

2. Fingerprint sensors tend to stop working when exposed to direct sunlight after some time. That's why most wall readers w/ fingerprintsensors have some type of cover/'roof' over the sensor. But if you are able to turn the sensor-based-knob downward after each use, this should avoid this issue. But it requires user-discipline (you and your family members..) after each opening..

3. Mechanical security / anti-burglary protection. Most countries have regulations which outside-facing products must meet in order to be burglary-resistant. For example, in Netherlands its 'SKG'( 2 or 3 stars) and in Germany its VdS. Resistant to drilling, hacking, bending, etc.. European norm is 'EN 1303' which has a boring 8-digit code. You could ask the supplier if the last digit ('Attack resistance') has Grade 2 or Grade D. That is the highest possible resistance to attack for cylinders.

Good luck and let us know what you ended up buying!

Olof
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

I have asked the Rex Cylinder vendor about certifications and IP-rating. (I did see somewhere that it's IP65).
The strange thing is that I cannot seem to find any user-exerpences & reviews except for what is published by the vendor itself.
That could mean the Rex Cylinder is an OEM or that it's not being sold a lot.
Let's see what the vendor says..
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

File was to big to upload, but found it online here too: http://www.openingcontrols.nl/wp-conten ... 14_web.pdf

I have one of the "opbouw" readers, since i didn't have enough room to place it in my door (not a wooden door either) so far i am pretty happy with it, the electric opening was mounted in the door too which works like a charm. No bad WAF factor here. Only thing is that if there is too much water on it, it wont work. Just clean it with a sleeve or something and its all ok again. I've installed a small 'roof' above my door so that you can stay dry and it will stop 95% of the rain onto the reader too.
// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Security & Alarmpanels Forum”