Powermax+ or Marmitek SC9000?

Forum with questions and discussions about security or security devices like Marmitek, Elro Elk (other then Visonic)
flexer

Post by flexer »

Hello all,

Great website this is, with a lot of information!

I'm currently investigating which security systeem I'll install in our new build house. I like the option to install some domotica elements as well, so I narrowed down my options currently to the Visonic Powermax+ and the Marmitek SC9000 controller. Both have wireless PIR's, wireless door switches and the options to control home lights and applications through X10 modules. Also both have the option to connect the module to analogue telephone lines. Differences are the radio frequency on which the wireless elements operate and the price. The Powermax+ is far more expensive.

What are your exeperiences about both devices and which one would you recommend? What are the options to integrate these devices in a domotica environment? Is it possible to control (arm/disarm the different sections) these devices from a domotica control center? Can the status from the security system polled from the domotica platform? Example, is it possible to do the following: IF (PIR Motion Detection) AND (Security == ARMED) THEN Activata NetworkCam.

Thanks for your reply!

Regards,

Flexer
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Hello Flexer,

The configuration of the PowerMax+ has a lot more options. This makes it also more complicated to configure the system and the optional configuration software with the RS232 interface is recommended. The RF range of the Powermax sensors is much better.

There is no direct connection possible between the HA system and the alarm panel. Instead of this you can use an RFXCOM receiver to receive the sensor and the remote signals. A receiver is available for both systems. (PowerMax and/or SC9000)

The Homeseer ACRF plug-in has a build in alarm function and triggers can be set to activate cameras etc.

Bert
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Flexer,
I had both alarm systems. In the past I had the Marmitek now I have the Visonic Powermax. In my opinion you can't compare the systems. Visonic is a professional alarm system and the Marmitek is not. I had lot of problems with the marmitek, batteries don't last long and false alarm events. The Visonic is in every way much better, batteries last for over 3 years and all the wireless sensors have a very strong signal. The downside is that the price is higher. But check the internet very good for best price, also on markplaats.nl there are new systems for sale. As Bert stated above, with the additional Rfxcom receiver for Visonic signals you can use all the wireless devices for your domotica (home automation) system as well.
Regards Pieter
flexer

Post by flexer »

Pieter, Bert,

Thanks for your replies. I want a professional like security system, so i must conclude that the Powermax is the best option.

Does the Powermax standard have an X10 interface and a RS232 (PC connectivity) connection option? Or do I need additional modules for this functionality?

Regards

Richard (Flexer)
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

For X10 you need in addition to the Visonic alarm system the XM10. The RS232 is an option.

Powermax: http://www.waakzaamwonen.nl/catalog/ind ... os-visonic
XM10: http://www.waakzaamwonen.nl/catalog/pro ... ttlcmos-io
RS232: http://www.waakzaamwonen.nl/catalog/pro ... -interface

best regards, Bert
flexer

Post by flexer »

Thanks again for the replies and information. But questions still pop up... Assume I've a Powermax+ and XM10 interface installed and a separate home automation system (PC based) is operational with a Rfxcom receiver installed and a CM11 interface. Is it possible in the HA-system to retrieve the status (armed / disarmed / alarm) from the Powermax through wireless or X10 communication?

Regards,

Richard
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Richard,

I have the same setting a Powermax with a XM10 interface. With the XM10 you can put the alarm status (armed / diarmed) on the powerline. And you can switch lights from within the powewrmax console. So its not wireless!
Pieter
flexer

Post by flexer »

The Powermax seems a great device. All options all nicely packaged in one box: central processor, interface to devices, keypad, sirene, phone dialer. There is only a disadvantage of this "all in 1 box" design: it makes the Powermax very vulnerable. When the alarm is triggered by a burglar, the central processing box is easy to locate during the delayed alarm. It gives the burglar the option to smash/break the whole box during the delayed alarm, even before the sirene goes on or the phone dialer activates. I know it has a direct alarm mode, but this has the disadvantage that you have to use some device te control the unit remotely.

How do you deal with this vulnerability? Do you use any special protection for the central processor or do you have any remote devices (keyfobs, MCM-140, MKB-150)in use?

Regards,

Richard
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I think you have the same problem with the Marmitek :-) Yes I use the the MCM-140 for arming the alarm. The console is hidden away in my fuse box closet. On the closetdoor there is a sensor which directly activates the alarm and also the remote siren which does not stop even when the console is crashed! In my case my domotica system picks up the alarm as well and sends a message to my cell phone. But then again if a real thief wants to come in.... he will.
Regards Pieter

Pieter Knuvers
www.bwired.nl Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.

Return to “Security & Alarmpanels Forum”