remote security keypad?

Forum with questions and discussions about security or security devices like Marmitek, Elro Elk (other then Visonic)
Louis

remote security keypad?

Post by Louis »

My analog phone line enters the house at a point far away from the front door. At that point I have mounted my ADSL modem + wifi router, and a phone (dect base station). Recently I also connected a home alarm system there (SC28 from Elekhomica), which calls a phonenumber when an alarm occurs.

Because of the distance from alarm panel to front door, I always use a keyfob to (de-)activate the alarm. Now the "test period" is over and I want other family members to start using the alarmsystem too (so I don't receive a phonecall when someone unexpectedly comes home before I do ;-).
But I don't want every family member to carry a keyfob around.

Placing the alarmpanel in the hallway would require an analog phoneline to be wired through the livingroom into the hallway, which implies cable trunks around doors and window, and therefore is a nogo. Moreover the phoneline in the hallway is very easy to find and cut for a burglar (who probably recognises a SC28 and knows it may have a phoneline connected to it).

What options do I have to make this work family-member-friendly?

I would prefer a (wireless) keypad mounted in the hallway, allowing anyone who enters the front door 30 seconds to disarm the alarmsystem by entering a code. The keypad should act like an alarm keyfob but only disarm the system if the correct code is entered. It would be great (but optional) if it also had a display showing the alarm system status. Does such a device exist?

An alternative could be a 'safe' in the hallway that can only be opened with a certain code, and has a standard security keyfob inside. But this not a 'nice' method.

Please reply with alternatives or solutions that you may already have implemented.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

remote security keypad?

Post by Bwired »

Ask Elekhomica or the supplier if for your alarmpanel a wireless control panel is available [:)]
You could also buy a simple code-touch panel with a relay in there, you can put 1 remote in there and connect it (pushbutton) to the relay. When you type in the right code the relay activates the pushbutton. There are code panels where you can adjust the time and behavior of the relay.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Pieter Knuvers
http://www.bwired.nl <i>Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.</i></font id="size1">
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

remote security keypad?

Post by b_weijenberg »

If you have Homeseer, HSTouch and a RFXmitter you can use a small touch device for this.
Configure the front door sensor as a delayed sensor.

Peterpc

remote security keypad?

Post by Peterpc »

You can use the EasyIcon10RF from Marmitek.
You can disarm the panel by entering the 4 digit code on the remote.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

remote security keypad?

Post by drmacchi »

If you have Hs , you could try a solution with bluetooth and some scenarios when detecting bluetooh phones of the family
Louis

remote security keypad?

Post by Louis »

Thanks for your responses.

HStouch and a small touchpanel would be very nice indeed, and also usable to access other domotica from the hallway. But I am only beginning to use/learn Homeseer, and would like to keep the alarm system separate from homeseer for the time beeing, to reduce complexity and speed up introduction, thereby increasing the wife acceptance factor too.
Since HStouch is out of (financial/time/complexity) reach for now, this may be nice for later.

The simple code panel with relay and keyfob is worth a try, at least it will look like a security keypad, which is good for the wife acceptance factor. Does anyone use such a device or have a good reference?
Alternatively I could "hide" a keyfob in the hallway and use that to disarm the alarm.

I just thought of another issue, which may become a main effect:
I noticed the keyfob 'arm' command works immediately, and does NOT start a delay time that would be required to exit the house and close the door.
The "arm away" button on the SC28 panel DOES involve a configurable delay time before the system is armed, but it is so inconvenient to put on boots and coat, walk back into the house to press "arm away", walk back to the hallway and exit the house.
-> Does anyone have (or know of) a keyfob that arms the (X10 security, like SC28) alarm system with a delay time?

If HomeSeer can arm/disarm the SC28 (can it do this with RfxCom xmitter?) then I can make it work with plenty of smart scenarios later, but by that time I may be able to replace the SC28 alarm panel itself by pure homeseer.

Any other suggestions are still welcome.

What is the brand & type of the "wireless analog phoneline extender" again[;)]?
I am starting to reconsider wiring the phoneline to the hallway...

[edit:] I forgot to respond to the EasyIcon10 suggestion. Its manual states compatibility with SC9000, not mentioning SC28. I am continuing investigatin on this one, as it sounds like a great device anyway.
[further edit:] This will work, there (as usual) is an EleHomica counterpart (take 10) that specifies explicily how to do what I want. One downside is the menu structure (wife acceptance risk) ... press mode ... press x10 ... select room ... select alarmsystem ... select disarm or (delayed) arm ... enter code.
Now I am debating if it's worth the money (maybe I need to buy two of these because one may be used all around the house).
I am still very interested in alternatives...
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

remote security keypad?

Post by b_weijenberg »

Louis,

The RFXCOM transmitters can send KR10 key fob commands and this is used to synchronize the SC28 with the RFXCOM software alarm panel.
Chapter 10 http://www.rfxcom.com/documents/RFXCOM% ... 0Guide.pdf
Chapter 6 http://www.rfxcom.com/documents/RFXCOM% ... 0Guide.pdf

On the security config page you have an option to indicate which transmitter has to send the arm/disarm commands when the software panel is armed/disarmed.
Set the SecCode parameter in the hspi_RFXCOM.ini to another value to ensure that your neighbor using Homeseer does not control your SC28.

Bert

Return to “Security & Alarmpanels Forum”