Using ELK alarm system

Forum with questions and discussions about security or security devices like Marmitek, Elro Elk (other then Visonic)
Wima

Using ELK alarm system

Post by Wima »

Hi all,

My security panel is about 10 years old and want to replace it. Ofcourse the new one must be abel to interact with HS/RFXCOM/X10.

When surfing on the homeseer forum they talk much about the brand "ELK" for example the smarthome-products.com/p-569-elk-m1gk-m ... ckage.aspx. Seems a realy nice system to me, but can it be purchased in Europe ? Or has anyone got some experiance with it.

The second choice would be ofcourse the Visonic systems.

Are there any other options with a good combination to HS ?

Wil
even the genious ask questions
Peterpc

Re: Using ELK alarm system

Post by Peterpc »

marmitek proguard800
Peter
http://www.pcgsm.nl/
radiopaque
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by radiopaque »

Hello,
I'm looking for a new alarm panel, too. The marmitek system cannot, AFAIK, be controlled or polled through IP or RS-232. I am using http://www.CharmedQuark.com as controller software, and something with either a LAN or RS232 connector is what I am looking for.
Is anyone using an Elk M1 system in Europe? It can be shipped to the Netherlands, but what about wireless frequencies, and transformers? I am pretty sure that at least the Z-Wave module is not usable due to a different operating freq.
Any other systems aside from Elk and Marmitek? With LAN or serial interface?
Best regards
Mark
t006
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by t006 »

I use the m1g for almost a year now. I wrote a perl script which read the serial port with several actions.
There is a protocol specification from elk http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/ELK-M1_R ... OTOCOL.pdf
If you need more information please let me know, maybe I can help you.
radiopaque
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by radiopaque »

Ahhh.. Back from vacation!
That would be great. I tried to find a way to send a PM, but I cannot find one (may because of my very few posts in the forum).
I will control the panel through CQC, but my main concerns are with the wireless door-, window-, smokesensors. Does that all work properly in NL? Any idea if there is interference with ZWave (EU freq)?
Thanks
Mark
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

why send a pm?
this way everyone can learn :)
radiopaque
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by radiopaque »

Good point :)

Let me organize my thoughts, and I'll post a list of questions and concerns a bit later!

Mark
radiopaque
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by radiopaque »

OK, I have thought about this a bit more, let me start by describing my system a little bit.

I have a PC with Charmed Quark Controller as a "hub", it does all home automation tasks and provides interfaces and drivers for all kinds of hardware. It controls my zwave lighting (Merten, ACT and Duwi), it controls the AV stuff through RS232 and infrared (using a Global Cache GC100), and hopefully it will integrate heating and alarm as well. Also running on that PC is a 3CX PBX system and MyMovies WHS version for my movies database. Finally, it runs a SageTV server for media distribution. Two HD200 extenders from SageTV get media to my eyes :-) Both MyMovies and SageTV are controllable by CQC, and SageTV can use MyMovies directly as well. Backups are put on an unRAID server.

Now back to the topic of this thread: an Elk M1 Gold alarm system. Big bonus: there is a driver in CQC for this panel, I could use RS232 or LAN.
My house is fairly old, and not well wired. I'd like to use wireless sensors for movement, doors, glass breaking and fire. I'm not sure if all this will work properly in Europe, since all kinds of radio frequencies are a bit different from the USA and that is a good opportunity for interference and bad connections. I have WLAN and EU ZWave frequencies in my house.
I would like the Elk to call me on my mobile. Is there a GSM module for the M1? If not, is there a POTS module? If not, what do people use (just internet/LAN)? Does anyone in The Netherlands use an "alarm centrale" with the M1?
Could someone let me know if he/she uses an American ELK system in Europe, and if there are any wireless troubles?
Should I choose the GE Crystal wireless sensors or the Honeywell system? Is it correct that I would need a ELK-M1XRF2G or ELK-M1XRF2H to use wireless sensors?

OK! Now that's a lot of questions, I hope someone can get me going on this. I'll report on my progress once I do choose an M1.

Thanks,
Mark
AutomatedOutlet
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by AutomatedOutlet »

Wima wrote: When surfing on the homeseer forum they talk much about the brand "ELK. Seems a realy nice system to me, but can it be purchased in Europe ? Or has anyone got some experiance with it.
Yes, the Elk will work well. We ship a lot of them to Europe. The only difference is that you should purchase your 12VDC power supply there so that you don't have to use a transformer. Please keep in mind that the pricing on the Elk products on our website is what Elk says we must post. Create an account on the site and send me an email with your log on information, I will convert your ID to our "Bonus Club" pricing. You will then see much lower pricing on many items including Elk.
Wima wrote: Are there any other options with a good combination to HS ?
Wil
The HAI systems are also fine systems that work well in Europe. For the HAI systems, we can also get them for you in other native languages. Other languages available include Latin American Spanish, European Spanish, Italian, French, and Catalan.
yoggi
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by yoggi »

Hi Martin,

I am looking to add UPB control to my new house and I found your post about the Elk system that you sell to people in Europe.

You mention Hai as a possible system and I just found the newly released Omni LTe that looks promising. I see that you carry euro spec UPB units and the Hai Omni.

Would you grant me the same favor of converting my log on information to your "Bonus Club" pricing?

jeh_hansen@yahoo.com
Sweden
richard naninck

Post by richard naninck »

I got the ELK M1 Gold since 2006 together with CADDX wireless sensors and some other stuff all controlled through HouseBot using my own code. The ELK is much more than just an alarm and it has many onboard features as well such as own programming lines. I bought and brought it from the US but friends of mine ordered from the US to the Netherlands without any trouble.
Conrad.nl sells the correct Power adapter.
You cannot get the system approved however to Dutch specs for insurance but that should not be a problem looking at your situation.
BWired saw it in action and I almost got him to change his Visonic for the ELK :D

Return to “Security & Alarmpanels Forum”