Smoke detector wich one...

Forum with questions and discussions about security or security devices like Marmitek, Elro Elk (other then Visonic)
jakkes

Smoke detector wich one...

Post by jakkes »

I would like to install a smoke detector in my house....., wich one should i buy:
- A Zwave version?
- A Visonic version?

I can use both in my domotica system.
For now i don't have an burgler alarm system in my house...

When i go for the Zwave version, i would be able to direct switch my window blinds on my childs sleeping rooms in case of a fire...
When i go for the Visonic version, i would be able to extend my domotica system with a burgler alarm...
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Smoke detector witch one...

Post by Snelvuur »

in case of a fire, do you still think the blind works?
in my opinion both will do the job at detecting smoke. but, how often do you want to replace the battery? i believe visonic will have a longer lifespan, you dont want to change this a lot.

For me its a different story since all smoke detectors are hooked up to 220v and have a 9volt backup battery. So i almost never have to replace them. (but no visonic/zwave though) but they are loud enough as it is :)

I would go for the visonic one, because you can also let your visonic system "call out" if your not at home saying that there is fire, because the alarm went off. Z-wave can do this too, but without power to call with your computer, nothing happens and as far as i know the visonic is still able to call out then (battery wise) as long as your telephone line is hooked up to something which is still working then.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Normally when it detects smoke, the fire is at the beginning, otherwise what alarm system would it be?
The best would be a system on battery that is electrical indipendent . (emergency battery and gsm, with 12v for every day).
i use the one from marmitek, but i'm warned by sms (pc wih homeseer with ups) or phone (sc9000 central station with batteries)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

If you are not going to use Visonic alarm system than is the best to go for the Zwave version.
For the Visonic version you will need a additional receiver for you domotica systeem.

Zwave
Automatically trigger devices without HS. (blinds, lights)
Max distance (router function of other devices)

Visonic
Proven technologie.
Core system is battery powered and more reliable than any softalarm
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

For smoke detectors i use the SD90. They make a lot of noise and that's the primary thing IMO.
When there's really something going wrong while nobody is at home, i would only rely on a battery backup-ed system like a burglary alarm, maybe still being able to get a message out.
jakkes

Post by jakkes »

I allready have a visonic interface in my system, and my complete HS setup wil be on a battery backup.
(including server, switch, (wireless)router(s))

My idea is that in case of a fire, the utility power will not immidiatly go away so i have some time to trigger the blinds and let them move up.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Smoke detector wich one...

Post by drmacchi »

Just a thought ... in case of fire we need to close rooms to reduce oxygen combustion. why open blinds? Let's hope it will never happen btw !!
jakkes

Post by jakkes »

The thought is valid, but 2 blinds are in the childrens bedroom. And when the stairway is full of smoke/fire, and the blinds are open/up, i am able to leave the bedrooms via the windows.

Also the firemen can access the house via the childrens bedrooms.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

That's it , an emergency exit :) . good.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

If you have enough smoke detectors and in the important places, you should make an event that opens the blinds immediatly on a smoke detector alarm. In most cases your system will be still online specially when you have a nobreak installed. A lot of fires start related to some kind of electrical device which breakes down etc.
So specially for us guys, who have a lot of devices we need to pay extra attention. We have a lot of Domotica stuff which can cause troubles. If you look at my fusebox closeth its really packed, all the devices like zwave, xanura, plugwise etc. throughout the house are electrical and cause higher risc.
I'm thinking about this for years now, but further then nobreak, extra smokedetectors, events and not using devices who are getting very hot I did not get.
http://www.bwired.nl Online Home, Domotica, Home Automation. Weblog. http://blog.bwired.nl
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Pieter, you mean that some devices don't pass security test , but are on market anyway?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Could be, but I mean the more devices you have the more chance you have that a device causes a fire.
About a year ago my router burned out and it looked really nasty inside. Also one of my Xanura modules (old model) got really black after breaking down. We have much more devices then a regular home owner.....
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

you should make an event that opens the blinds immediatly on a smoke detector alarm
This comes up in my evil mind right away. :twisted:
Burgular throws in a small smoke producing device through the mailbox in the door or blows it compressed in via an air vent and therethe blinds pops open.
Bram
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Mmhh, so do burglars read domotica forum ? are we spied? How can they know that you have a smoke-event that can open blinds?
add a condition ! if security is on (none at home) and smoke alarm is running , don't open blinds.... just my 2 cts !
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Yeah right, if i was a burgalar i had some nice tricks....

Return to “Security & Alarmpanels Forum”