Perception & acceptability

Forum about Questions, discussions and announcements regarding the Bwired website owned by Pieter Knuvers
ErwinTU
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ErwinTU »

As the bwired.nl website proves, the technological possibilities of domotics are quite diverse. Despite this, the application of domotics in the homes of consumers tends to be very limited.

I have graduated recently, which made me Master of Science specialized in the "Design for Interaction" area. Currently, I am working on a project called 'Boosting Domotica' for the department of Building Technology of the faculty of Architecture at the Delft University of Technology. Besides the implementation in (future) building processes, the acceptability of domotics is an issue in this project as well. Although domotics offer numerous advantages, few households actually implement such home-automation systems.

Therefore, I would like to get in touch with domotics users who like to share their experiences with me. This appears to be quite difficult, up until now. I aim on making clear how to lower the thresholds to start using domotics. I also hope to reach the owner of the bwired house in this way, in order to make an appointment, if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

The owner will surely find you here too, the main reason for not being able to have 1 domotics "thing" is simple because there all different vendors. Its like running linux apps on a windows machine. Everyone wants there product to work.. the HCB (home control box) is i think the most easiest at this moment if your happy with the things it offers. But most people on this forum is purely because we want more then that alone. Getting that all to work is possible with homeseer for example but this is really also a user effort. (which in your case does not drop the threshold)

Also price is a big factor, if you pay some prof. company you can have touchscreens and everything to your liking... but this is so much it would almost cost you a second house :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi Erwin
Right, also the Netherlands is way behind on domotica compared to Spain or Belgium, just check youtube and search on Domotica. As Erik is telling also the different vendors which all want to invent there own thing and then mostly they keep it as a big secret.
I will send you a PM
ErwinTU
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ErwinTU »

Thanks for your replies! I wonder: what makes the price so high? And why is our country behind on others?

What could motivate companies to develop compatible devices? I know for example that a company as Verklizan offers their (professional) costumers a sort of switchboard which is compatible with many protocols and technologies. Is that a fruitful solution? Or should all companies strive for one standard protocol?
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

One standard would be nice, in the usa you have upb/x10/zwave, in the netherlands zwave is coming a little bit but most is still usa bound (socket wise) and we have xanura which is an enhancement on x10. Plcbus and moeller for instance are not widly known but do the same thing basicly.

Price is so high because everyone invents there own, if there was a standard.. you could have bigger volumes => less price.

// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Bwired Forum”