Intel X25-E SSD Drive for Bwired server

Forum about Questions, discussions and announcements regarding the Bwired website owned by Pieter Knuvers
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Intel X25-E SSD Drive for Bwired server

Post by RDNZL »

What do you guys tweak on your windows? systems to minimize the write cycles to your SSDs?

I have a OCZ SUMMIT 60GB drive in my Linux NAS and DomotiGa server since September 2009, using ext4 filesystem on it, and works very well but I have made sure that my temp directory location (/tmp) is in memory space instead of on disk, and that accesstime info for files and directories are not written to disk, this save quite a few write cycles.

Also alot of talks about aligning partitions to 128Kb blocks and change write scheduler behaviour... I miss that here, is this not applicable to windows systems???

Funny enough I just noticed that there is a firmware update for my Summit SSD too, adding TRIM capability. :o I always thought this functionality was only available for the more expensive SSD ranges...

OCZ also just announced the Agility and Vertex 2 series on Cebit... sorry for being a bit off topic...
tweakers.net/nieuws/65941/cebit-ocz-pre ... -ssds.html
Regards, Ron.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

as a side note, i have 2 vortex ssd cards.. 1 in my laptop and 1 in my server at home.

BOTH gave me blue screens, and they both are with the latest firmware version. I switched back to normal hd's and the problems are gone. Granted it boots up quickly, but if it crashes (server crashed once every 2 weeks or so, was hard to catch that one) but the laptop did it every 2 days..

So make sure you do a long stress test first, i think the intels dont have that issue though and maybe i just have bad luck.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Since September last year my 80 gb X25 Intel SSD is running fine
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

To tweak windows is a bit harder to do.
But i think those drive should work no matter what.
The SSD drives are not full grown yet, a lot similar as the LED lights I guess :)
I just asked a question to Corsair about it and they immediately asked me to send the drive back
makes you wander?
I think I get the newest version now with TRIM etc. in the firmware .
The story continues....
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

Bluescreens are more the result of bad drivers than bad drives I guess? ...
Regards, Ron.

Return to “Bwired Forum”