Bwired on a MAC server

Forum about Questions, discussions and announcements regarding the Bwired website owned by Pieter Knuvers
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bwired on a MAC server

Post by Rene »

I thought I did it using bootcamp. But I did not, I installed rEfit, an EFI bootmanager.
Rene.
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

@jakkes Yes it is possible to run Xen, it is possible to install Linux so it is possible to run Xen. It is also possible to run VMWare, VMWare Server that is, when you use Windows or Linux as Host OS. If it is possible to run VMWare ESX I do not know.
Rene.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

It's done!
Bwired.nl and all my home automation stuff is running now on a Mac Mini 2010 with 2 x 2.4 Ghz and 4GB memory.
The OS is Windows 2008 R2 64bits server running solo without tools like Bootcamp.
Mac Mini 2010
Mac Mini 2010
macmini.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
So currently the Mac Mini Bwired manages my Home automations software and also easily thousands of Web pages viewed daily on Bwired.nl.
The main reason for me to switch to the Mac Mini is obviously the low power consumption.
And the energy usage of this little powerhouse is amazingly low, the Mini consumes 9 watts idle including Windows Server 2008 R2.
A fully equiped Bwired server currently consumes an average of 23 watts and that includes:

UPS (8 watts)
VSComm USB-> 8 x RS232
2 x USB Receiver RFXCOM
Active Dual Display Adapter Apple DVI 2560 x 1600
Plugwise Zigbee USB receiver
Windows 2008 Server R2 64 bits
MySQL 5.1 Database 64 Bits
MYSQL Connector 5.1 64 Bits
MySQL Connector 3.51 32 Bits
IIS 7.5 Web Server
IIS 6 SMTP Server
Home Control Software Bwired 32 Bits
AVG Virus
MS Office 2010
Software Development Tools

The old AMD Bwired server was much slower, had a 32 Bit OS and spent an average of 80 watts,
so much as a saving of around 57 watts per hour.
In contrast, the Mac Mini is expensive so you do not earn it back quickly :)
Usage Mac Mini 2010 Bwired
Usage Mac Mini 2010 Bwired
verbruikMacMini.jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
See also my weblog on Bwired.nl for more details
http://www.bwired.nl/weblog.asp?id=397
bako70
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by bako70 »

I bought a Mac Mini earlier this year, and running the domotica software in VMWare's Fusion. For me it has several advantages:

1. low power consumption , only 21.2 watt
2. Experimenting with OS X instead of Windows
3. A very quiet computer
4. I use this computer more for internet , an extra powersaving is reached due to less usage of other energy consuming pc's

It's unbelievable how Apple managed to build such a powerfull & quiet computer and also incredible green. Steve would say: Isn't that amazing.. :)

Disadvantages
- Price is a too high
- I use a PMX35 to send X10 commando's and sometimes I lose the connection (commando's not excuted)... I'm not sure if VMWare causes this problem

Return to “Bwired Forum”