domoticawiki.eu?

Questions, suggestions or remarks about this forum.

Moderator: TheHogNL

matthijskooijman

domoticawiki.eu?

Post by matthijskooijman »

I was wondering, would it make sense to have a wiki counterpart to domoticaforum? I've been following discussion on the ELV Max! system, where people are deciphering the network protocol, documenting hardware, etc. While a forum works for documenting such things, something more structured like a wiki might be a lot more convenient.

So, would there be interest in creating a wiki, something like domoticawiki.eu? If so, I can arrange for setting up the hosting and the wiki application?
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: domoticawiki.eu?

Post by Alexander »

Good point, alot of people are missing this to. I think it's best to contact (or within this topic) Pieter (aka bwired) to have a central solution next to this forum. There are alot om members that have their own hosting solution, so has Pieter, so that is not the big avantage you're referring to. Everyone, with knowledge and hosting options, can start one. Best to keep it central I guess.
Alexander
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Ok, but..
It has to be a Wiki that's being moderated/controlled in some way.
It's not that long ago that the Visonic Powerlink protocol info moved from a public Wiki to this forum because the whole world was able to change the information on the Wiki. I don't think we want that to happen. For example, the ELV MAX documentation here on this forum is more accurate than what I have here @ home, so I wouldn't want anyone messing with it without some sort of verification or knowing who changed it.
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... ntegration
This extension links MediaWiki to phpBB's user table for authentication, and disallows the creation of new accounts in MediaWiki. Users must then log in to the wiki with their phpBB account.
First one that i did found. Don't have any idea if mediawiki is a good one.
Alexander
mhn

Post by mhn »

Good one, I don't know. I don't use other wikis. :-)

But Finn is using it on our danish zwaves (phpBB) forum, and it's working OK.

Regards
Morten
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

A forum can be a problem for finding the right information back again.
Searching on a forum is also very unhandy, specially for small things!
What we now do is make sticky topics from all the important content like the Visonic Powermax and ELV max protocol
If products are discussed enough we make a seperate forum about it, making it easier to find.
For Elv and visonic this is working much better now, open the forum and its clearly on top.

A member recently tried a wiki for the visonic which did not work out. http://powermax.wikia.com/wiki/Powermax_Wiki
Reason is also i rhink that a lot of Members dont like to be on 2 different environments putting in there input.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

When both wiki and forum can be seamlessly integrated there's no problem as far as I'm concerned, only advantages.
I've been involved in extending wiki functionality about a decade ago, so I know very well how it works and I think I can say that finding information on a wiki (can be or is, take your pick) much easier on a wiki than on a forum.
A very recent example: this post will soon be forgotten and there's no way anyone will ever read it again or be able to find this information by searching for it. I think a wiki can change this. With a wiki, In time, a "MS13" page would arise and the dusk/dawn information would be there. There where it belongs, and much easier to find.

But we also have to consider the fact that a wiki doesn't grow by itself. If "we" want to have a good Wiki, "we" have to spend time on providing information to it. That's where the bottleneck is IMO; the ratio between members who are only searching for solutions to their own problems and those who want to spend time to document their knowledge and findings on a wiki must be quite high to make it a success.

So in theory it's a good idea, but the success depends on us all, not just that small amount of domoticafreaks who are willing to spend time on this.
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

confluence van atlassian is een hele goede wiki, er zijn volgens google meerderen die het geïntegreerd hebben met phpbb.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Well i had a wiki.binkey.nl or something with all kinds of home automation stuff on it but didn't really get of the ground.. (spam is also a big issue if its open)

I do have succesfully integrated phpbb with a wiki, where only certain "groups" are allowed to change/update data in the wiki and nobody else (unless created by a admin) however this is all on linux.. ;p

Ofcourse if Pieter wants to try this out i can always host a wiki which connects to the phpbb on database level, its not that hard but the sollutions that are out there are not perfect. But for what we need it would be enough, i dont know if there is a "minimum amount of posts" options, but if the board is setup that people will go from "newbie" to "member" after xxx posts and only THOSE people are allowed to edit, it might be sufficient.. but thats another story.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Pieter,

It's get to my attention that you aren't really into this in the past. You leave the ends open in your post. You can create a wiki site on your server with a seperate fqdn or path (wiki.domo.... or /wiki/). If time is an issue maybe someone can do this for you with ftp or other options. Otherwise you'll get solutions like Matthijs and Snelvuur (and who gets next ;-) ) to do it on their own environment. I can do it also on my environment but I'm not happy about the fact there will be another environment. Everyone can start one.
Alexander
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

The files.domoticaforum.eu is hosted on my end, but i think most don't even know that since the hostname is domoticaforum.eu
As long as its stable and in control users don't even notice :)
// Erik (binkey.nl)
matthijskooijman

Post by matthijskooijman »

Hmm, I don't know if I quite follow Alexander's post (who's Pieter?), but I agree that it makes sense to have closed wiki (no edits without registration). That's what I had in mind in the first place.

Integrating the authentication with the domoticaforum phpbb makes sense, since it makes it easier for people to contribute. Disallowing access to people in the "Newly registered users" would also make sense, to prevent spammers and new users from changing "official" docs.

If we want this integration, I guess a wiki should be hosted alongside the forum (since having database connections over the internet, especially for authentication, is far from ideal). I'm not sure who's hosting the forum, Bwired probably (Ah! That's Pieter ;-), so let's hear what he thinks.

In any case, if Bwired would allow a total stranger (i.e. me) onto his server, I'd be willing to invest some time to set this up. Alternatively, I could do a dummy setup on my own server to figure out how this plugin Digit linked to works to save Bwired some time?

About the succes of such a wiki: If the people who now invest their time to posting info about stuff would just redirect their time to a wiki, it would already be useful. To make it perfect, an additional investment of time would be needed to actually add more info and structure it in a meaningful way, but we'll see if that happens, I guess?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Agree, i'm not that enthusiastic about it because in the past i did a lot of stuff costing me a lot of work and is not being used :(

sure I can install a wiki on my server running besides the forum on wiki.domoticaforum.eu, no problem.
There are some things to consider:
If we want it integrated somebody need to figure out and test it somewhere on a test server, im very careful about the production setting
after that i can ingrate it on the forum production server.
Be aware that domoticaforum phpbb is not a standard version anymore, it has lost of tweaks, which should not give so much problem i think
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Pieter, i got a working "live" setup which uses the groups for authentication, only certain groups can add/edit things. I can look up the plugins i used if needed.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Great, lets start with collecting the needed info for analisys
Send me the information (or share it here)

Return to “Suggestions, Questions & Feedback”