suggestion: new section 'Beginners Start here' at the top

Questions, suggestions or remarks about this forum.

Moderator: TheHogNL

olof

suggestion: new section 'Beginners Start here' at the top

Post by olof »

It seems that the older forum members are less inclined (including myself) these days to answer the same old beginner questions from starting forum members; 'where do I start' or ' what system/technology do I pick' or etc...
Nobody relishes to answer the same question over and over again.

I realize we should expect newbies to first search the forum, but practice shows it is not happening enough times. Besides, our search facility on this Board is not optimal anyways.

Some suggestions which could benefit the beginners + reduce the amount of repetitive questions being asked:

1. Create a new section, called something like "Beginners; start here"
2. Place this section at the very top of the Board. So it can not be missed
3. Copy/paste (or link) the top 10 (or top X) topics which is deemed relevant/beneficial for complete beginners
4. In this section, no new topics can be started. It's read-only. For new topics, the 'Domotica for dummies' section does just fine
5. Move the ' Domotica for dummies' section also to the beginning of the board. So it can not be missed

Just some thoughts...

Olof
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: suggestion: new section 'Beginners Start here' at the top

Post by Bwired »

Hi Olof
Good idea, we started this a while ago
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewforum.php?f=37

We could rename this
Also there are some topics static on top
Do you want to be the Mod :)
olof

Re: suggestion: new section 'Beginners Start here' at the top

Post by olof »

Hi Bwired,

Glad to read that the suggestion sound sensible. :)

May I then suggest as next steps:

1. Change the name of 'Domotica for Dummies' to 'Domotica for Beginners'. It is only a name change, but all small changes help (I believe)

2. Move it to the top of the Board. My suggestion is to make it the first section inside the 'Hardware forum', so even before 'Announcements & News'. Most beginner questions
are about hardware anyways.

3. Within 'Domotica for Beginners', expand the fixed Announcement section with relevant topics/discussions which exist within our Board.

4. I'm willing to help out or even to 'pull the cart' in dealing with Point 3. At some point I would need input from the more senior forum members in order to finalize the relevant list

5. I think Tane is doing fine as moderator for this whole section.... :)

Cheers,
Olof

Return to “Suggestions, Questions & Feedback”