Update to HS3 or switch to other platform?

Homeseer Forum in het Nederlands (DUTCH forum)

Moderator: Ruud

Herbus

Update to HS3 or switch to other platform?

Post by Herbus »

Hi,

I'm still using HS2. Because I didn't maintain my configuration for the last year(s) I'm slowly losing functionality. My current HS2 configuration is dying :-(
So, action needs to be taken.

What's your opinion about this?
- Stay at HS2
- Upgrade to HS3 (seems to be the easiest but also expensive way)
- Move to another platform (which one would you suggest......??)

I've looked at openHAB but that seems to be quite complex (I'm not a programmer)

Look forward to hear your thoughts!
Herbus (Jos)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Update to HS3 or switch to other platform?

Post by Snelvuur »

Depends on what your doing, i used to be all into HS2, then moved over to fibaro. You have to pay a few bucks extra but then most is out of the box and easy to understand. Also no need to design your phone/pad interface, it just comes with it standard. I just don't have the time to "tune/tweak" it that much more.
// Erik (binkey.nl)
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Can you explain why you are loosing functionality?
Bram
Herbus

Post by Herbus »

Most systems need some kind of maintenance to keep them working.
For example:
The supplier of the weather data (weathercom) in my HSTouch design stopped pushing the data. Result: blank spots on my touchscreens
A few switches stopped working and need to be replaced
Some Oregon temp sensors need new batteries, others have new batteries but aren't received by the rfxcom anymore

Conc: I need to maintain the system and fix the broken issues. This seems a good moment (just spending the time once) to see if I will spend my time in the current setup or move to another solution.
Herbus (Jos)
olof

Post by olof »

I'm in the same situation, 4-year user of HS2 and contemplating if I should move to HS3.

I would love to move to Fibaro or Vera or some other 'modern' HA system with more user friendly functionality. But I think I can't.
In my HS2 configuration I also non Z-wave sensors/devices which (to my knowledge) can't be plugged into a Fibaro or Vera.

For example, these devices are hooked into HS2 and can (probably) be hooked into HS3, but not Fibaro
1. My gate + gate sensors via IPPower
2. My alarm system sensors (Visonic 868 mhz) via a RFXCOM device (rfxlan)
3. My router Fritzbox via a plugin
4. My Sonos system via a plugin

Olof
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I chose to upgrade from HS2 to HS3 because i can create my own HSTouch interfaces. I have tried other systems like Domoticz / Domotiga / OpenHAB but they are more difficult to setup or are missing features / plugins i intended to use
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Herbus wrote:Most systems need some kind of maintenance to keep them working.
For example:
The supplier of the weather data (weathercom) in my HSTouch design stopped pushing the data. Result: blank spots on my touchscreens
A few switches stopped working and need to be replaced
Some Oregon temp sensors need new batteries, others have new batteries but aren't received by the rfxcom anymore

Conc: I need to maintain the system and fix the broken issues. This seems a good moment (just spending the time once) to see if I will spend my time in the current setup or move to another solution.
Without being rude here but the issue you mention aren't issues related to HS2, HS3 of any other domotica system. New batteries for Oregon sensors will happen with HS3, Domotiga, Fibaro ect. too. HS2 is working oke but you have issues with the peripherals. :(
Bram
Herbus

Post by Herbus »

Thanks for your reply AshaiRey, great help to make the right choice :(

Pls take a sec to read the conclusion:
Herbus (Jos)
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I switched from hs2 to hs3 more than a year ago. They have a conversiontool which helps. But it still took a lot of time. I used jonn00 his hs2-hs3 connector and that helped me to avoid a big bang transfer. I had minimal downtime.

Hs3 works, in my opinion, more stabler than hs2. I'm not fond of the interface, but there is no need to use it that often. Hs3 gets maintained and fibaro is working fine now. Rfxcom works fine (has nice feature for easy upgrade). I don't like hs touch, to much hassle to create screens for multiple devices. I use a homemade webbased interface. Works fine with the json interface hs3 offers. On the hs forum you find a windows tile like solution wposner made. It looks nice. But, most important. Hs has a nice userbase and forum which helped me to solve a lot issues.

I doubted between fibaro and hs3. But when I read the fibaro forum I decided in favor of hs3. Hs support and user base looked better and there where some horrorstories ;) about the fibaro device on their forum.

I'm typing this on my mobile so I won't make it a long story.
If you have specific questions I can answer them.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn M6752 met Tapatalk
groeten,
Harry
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

Although i`m having some issues with fibaro devices in HS3. Most of the house is working fine and indeed stable :D I`m now waiting for all the scripts i used on HS2 to be converted to HS3 by their creator for example

- ZMC (XAP800) is updated to ZMCv4 and is now working in HS3 :D
- P2000 not yet :cry:
- FritzBox caller ID not yet :cry:

So for those i`m still using HS2 :cry:
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

My system is also still on HS2. Super stable and working fine. I also have doubts if I should switch to HS3 because no more developments on HS2. And if I switch, should I go for pro or not? In the past I paid a lot for seperate plugin's. but I will wait until next Black Friday when (I hope) prices will be cut in half.
**Jeroen**
Herbus

Post by Herbus »

Thanks for your thougts guys.
It looks like updating to HS3 is still the best way for me. The suggestion of black Friday is great. Can wait until November 27th.
Gives me a little time to prepare the update.
Herbus (Jos)
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

You can start on Oktober 27th using the trial key :-)

Return to “Homeseer algemeen Forum”