Homeseer on (free) Virtualbox instead of VMware Server?

Homeseer Forum in het Nederlands (DUTCH forum)

Moderator: Ruud

Noel

Re: Homeseer on (free) Virtualbox instead of VMware Server?

Post by Noel »

I guess that it was, but the test server (Dell R200) that I installed it on could not handel the USB passthroug part (even as the CPU an Intel E6300 did allow it)
info: Intel E6300 http://ark.intel.com/products/27248/Int ... 6-MHz-FSB)
Ans yes. It was enabled in the BIOS :-(
--
Maak nu je eigen video bericht online.
Anyone interested in time travel meet me here last Thursday!!
ıɟ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ buıɥʇʎuɐ ʇɹɐʇs ɹǝʌǝu
Noel

Post by Noel »

Okay. Got VMware installed on a Dell 210, and USB passthroug is working.
However I can not get Plugwise to work.
The VM (Windows) does see the USB "stick", but does not want to connect to the Circle+
Anyone here using VMware (vSphere) in combination of Plugwise?
--
Phaeton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Phaeton »

I do. You should not only passthrough a usb controller. But also the devices itself.
Noel

Re:

Post by Noel »

Phaeton wrote:I do. You should not only passthrough a usb controller. But also the devices itself.
Hmmm not sure what you are talking about.
IE: The Xanura USB PMIX35 is working fine.
Source (on the VM) is also seeing the Stick, and communicating with it.
The problem is that it can not connect to the Circle+ (message shown is: Waithing for Circle+ to come online...)

I'm going to give the Circle+ a reset later today, and will give it anothe try.
--
rvb1405
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rvb1405 »

I had plugwise running on windows XP VM on VirtualBox on a Mac mini on OSX 10.7.4 for a couple of years.
I switched to vmware fusion 4 because of a bluetooth USB stick I couldn't get working under VirtualBox. Vmware Fusion has better Bluetooth support in my opinion.

I never got plugwise to work under VMware Fusion. the Source software cannot connect to the stick.
The stick is assigned to the windows VM and not to the mac. The stick shows in the USB devices and has a comport assigned to it.

Did anyone get it working on vmware fusion?

Kind Regards,

Remc
Dickr43

Post by Dickr43 »

Yes, it's been running under Lion and Mountain Lion perfectly. It's running on a Mac Mini as well, USB stick in the mini. No problem what so ever.
krizzz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by krizzz »

I already tried numerous times to write in this topic about my experiences with Homeseer and ESXI 5.0 but never my remarks got approved by the moderator because I am still in my approval fase as a member of thos board :), but here is another try!

I am using on a N40L HP microserver for a period of about 6 months now a Windows 7 VM with Homeseer installed. It works absolute GREAT.

The USB PAssthrough function on ESXI 5.0/N40l Microserver enables my RFXcom transceiver and is detected by Homeseer. I am now receiving all the signals of my Oregon Scientific sensors in my house. Everything has not crashed 1 time, so I am very excited about the reliabilty of the system.

The only problem I am having is howto backup the VM's in a "normal" way. Untill this moment i do not have a answer for this problem.

Happy, because I am out of my trail period at this forum :)
Juande

Post by Juande »

Hi.

I'm trying to install plugwise in a mac mini server under Mountain Lion running VmWare Fusion 5 on a WinXP virtualized. No luck so far connecting the stick. Anyone can give me some clarification on how to succeed?

Thanks

JD
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I`m running VMware ESXi 4 (because the hardware does not support ESXi5) this is a free version of VMware. I`m running Windows XP and added a usb controller to the virtual machine. After that i added the drivers to the vm and added the usb device one by one (to keep track of the assigned com ports)

I have added the following device on usb ports (note that i do not use VT-D so the redirecting of usb is software based)

- Plugwise stick
- Aeon Labs Z-Wave stick
- Velleman K8055
- USB to Serial port converter ( ChromoFlex RGB controller)
- RFXcom RFXtrx433
- Bleutooth 100m dongle

Al working fine

P.S. If you don`t want to use a vritual machine, one can look at a Zotac machine which seem to be High Power Low PowerUse
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Juande wrote:Hi.

I'm trying to install plugwise in a mac mini server under Mountain Lion running VmWare Fusion 5 on a WinXP virtualized. No luck so far connecting the stick. Anyone can give me some clarification on how to succeed?

Thanks

JD
JD,
One thing I noticed when connecting a USB device to OSX with Fusion is that it asks "Do you want to connect this to your Mac or to Windows?". If you select "Mac" once it will never connect to Windows unless you modify some settings.. Check if that's the case in your deployment.
Also check the device manager to see if the device is visibile in Windows at all and in the Fusion VM config if that's configured to have this USB device connect to your Windows VM.
DJ

Return to “Homeseer algemeen Forum”