Temp/Hygro sensor with best range ?

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

Mai Pensato
Starting Member
Starting Member

Temp/Hygro sensor with best range ?

Post by Mai Pensato »

I am looking for a temp/hygro sensor to connect with my RFXCOM. The sensor will be in a shed approx 20 m1 from the house where the RFXcom is located. With a KlikAanKlikUit (APA3-1500R) plug I have good connection with RFXcom in the same shed. Which sensor can you advise me: will a cheap Cresta TX320 work or do I need a more expensive TFA 30.3126 of 30.3150 or even an Oregon THGR800 or THGR810 ?
jeroen_

Re: Temp/Hygro sensor with best range ?

Post by jeroen_ »

Mai Pensato wrote:I am looking for a temp/hygro sensor to connect with my RFXCOM. The sensor will be in a shed approx 20 m1 from the house where the RFXcom is located. With a KlikAanKlikUit (APA3-1500R) plug I have good connection with RFXcom in the same shed. Which sensor can you advise me: will a cheap Cresta TX320 work or do I need a more expensive TFA 30.3126 of 30.3150 or even an Oregon THGR800 or THGR810 ?
I personally love the Oregons (then again, did not bother looking at others ;)

There was a thread recently about very cheap ones: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10014
Note the comparisons in that thread though, there is a minor protocol difference.

For most 433mhz based devices one is able to extend the antenna which will increase the transmission significantly, there are various threads in these forums about that. Same goes for reception of course, properly pointing the antenna helps.
Mai Pensato
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Mai Pensato »

I have ordered an Oregon THGR810, based on the advise of some specialized webshops and the experience of Jeroen (thanks!). I hope it will work without need of extending antenna.
Mai Pensato
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Mai Pensato »

The range of the Oregon THGR810 is great! Connection is perfect even at the back of the shed which is more than 30 m1 from the house and with 3 walls in between. The only negative thing I noticed is that a KaKu switch in the shed does not work anymore and worked OK before I installed the Oregon sensor. How is this possible ? And how can I solve it ?
Voyager
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Voyager »

Interference I guess.
Make sure the Oregon and kaku are not too close to eachother.
Jhenry
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Jhenry »

I am looking for a temp/hygro sensor to connect with my RFXCOM. The sensor will be in a shed approx 20 m1 from the house where the RFXcom is located. With a KlikAanKlikUit (APA3-1500R) plug I have good connection with RFXcom in the same shed. Which sensor can you advise me: will a cheap Cresta TX320 work or do I need a more expensive TFA 30.3126 of 30.3150 or even an Oregon THGR800 or THGR810 ?
NAT
rovinge

Post by rovinge »

Mai Pensato wrote: And how can I solve it ?
Have you tried to use a different channel on the THGR810? The manual says it has 10 different channels; that may help...

Roel
Mai Pensato
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Mai Pensato »

I never got the Oregon and the KaKu to work in the same shed. Also changing the channel on the Oregon did not improve this. So I removed the KaKu. But since end of february also the RFCXcom does not receive the signals from the Oregon anymore. I tried several things such as changing positions of both Oregon and \RFXcom, new batteries in the Oregon (although the orginal ones were still full), changed channel again but nothing works. So now I have moved the Oregon sensor a lot closer to the RFXcom but this is not the place were I needed the temp and humidity measurements.
The unpredictable and suddenly changing range of the RFXcom or the devices is really dissapointing for me. I read about connecting an external antenna on the RFXcom but experiences vary from "satisfied" to "'does not work". I am now at a point that I am not investing extra money in RFXcom and 433 devices till I am sure the bad range is solved.
Anyone some ideas?
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

This antenna will increase the range (but not unlimited)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/433Mhz-5DBI-GSM ... 2eccdec506
Also available in NL:
http://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/DLCK-8887 ... DLCK-88877

Install the antenna on a (about 30cm) metal base plate to have an even better result.
Do not install the RFXtrx antenna close to a wall or in the switch board (meterkast). There are too much metal components like wires and tubes that will influence sensitivity.
See also chapter 2.5 in the RFXtrx User Guide.

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”