Using Rfxcom without Homeseer ?

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

s8utt
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by s8utt »

Got my reciever setup now and I see that I'm getting the signals sent to the rfxcom reciever program.

How can I get this information out of the program to be usable ?

I'm only really interested in monitoring things at the moment so I dont think I want to spend a load of cash on the homeseer program at the moment.

I know a little vb and quite a bit of php so if I can get the data strings out I'm sure I can do something with the information.

Could someone point me in the right direction ?

Many Thanks

Scott
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Hi Scott,

You have several options:
1. Log the received data in a MY SQL db using a small VB program.
You can use the VB source of the RFreceiver program.
2. Use MisterHouse (but only 32 bits is supported)
3. Use xPL
4. Use xAP

I'm using Homeseer so I can't give you more details about the above implementations.

Bert
s8utt
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by s8utt »

Ok, well it would be option 1 that I would be after in the end, logging the data into a mysql database.

Its the small vb program that I need help on, I could then try to decipher the data strings and input them into the correct tables etc.

I'll look at the vb source and try to see if I can understand it, I guess what your saying is if I only want to log the data in a mysql database I wouldn't need to run the Rfxcom software, modify its code to upload to a database instead of displaying the information in the rfxcom program window.
s8utt
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by s8utt »

mm, seems like the code is written in Vb.net, still only on Vb6 :(
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

You can download Visual Studio for VB.NET for free at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

Bert
ktruyens
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ktruyens »

Simply use the provided receiver program (source code from RFXCom) as a basis. Expand it with the calls/functions you need to log in you SQL database. I've added some classes to the program for different sensors, and when data received, the classes are populated and a 'saveToDB' method called. Works fine!

Also, I don't use homeseer or any of the commercial products. I decided to write my own software as I'm a bit picky on how it should look. I don't find any commercial products (yet) that look perfect. Here's a screenshot of my U/I software (it runs on a touchscreen) and uses information from the RFXReceiver (and RFXPower sensos in this case).

Proof that it's possible :)

Check my project on http://domotica.computercity.be

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”