Extend antenna cable

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

Droezel

Extend antenna cable

Post by Droezel »

Hi all,

I guess it's time for my first post!

Can I extend the 2,5m cable that comes with the antenna of the receiver? My home control server will be placed in the cellar and I guess that's not the best place to put the antenna. I'd like to replace the 2,5m cable with a new one that's about 10 meters.

So, the questions are:

* Is it possible to use a longer cable, is there a maximum length?
* What cable do I use? Just ordinairy Coax cable?

I'm looking forward to posting a lot more on this forum while my renovation project get's started. I'm good with computers but not with all the electrical and technical stuff so I'm affraid I'll need advice frequently.
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Extend antenna cable

Post by b_weijenberg »

Droezel,

It is not advised to use a longer antenna cable. The Home Automation signals are very weak and the signal lost in the cable will limit the range drastic.
The cable used is an RG58 with solid core.

The Ethernet interface (LAN or WLAN) would be a better solution. This interface will become available in about 4 weeks.
The Ethernet interface can be placed at the optimum location for receiving the HA signals and away from noise sources like the computer. If the WLAN version is used the only thing you need is a wall socket and a wireless access point on your network.

Bert
Droezel

Extend antenna cable

Post by Droezel »

Hmmzzzzz, just got my usb receiver... can I still use the receiver with the ethernet interface?

I'll be needing the receiver for x10 (already got that one) and one for visonic powermax.
EDIT: oh, and will it work out of the box with homeseer?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Extend antenna cable

Post by Bwired »

b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Extend antenna cable

Post by b_weijenberg »

Droezel,

The receivers are identical and can be placed in the Ethernet interface.

Install the free Com Port Redirector and it operates with Homeseer. I have a WLAN 2 COM port version operational with an X10 receiver a Visonic receiver and the RFXCOM transmitter. The receivers are connected to the ACRF plug-in in Homeseer and the transmitter is controlled by Homeseer scripts.

If you would like to do a short test, you can contact me by email and I will give an IP and port number to enable you to add my sensors here in NL in your HS system using my test RFXCOM Ethernet interface which is connected to the Internet.
Bert
Droezel

Extend antenna cable

Post by Droezel »

Thanks for your offer on the test, but I haven't even got Homeseer yet :) And my demo period just ended.

We are now finishing electricity in our new house (actually a very old house that we're renovating). I'm sure the ethernet interface will be the perfect and flexible solution since I've installed lot's of UTP everywhere.

I think I'll go for the wired 2 COM port version with X10, Visonic and Transmitter. That combo should be able to do all I need.
docbee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Extend antenna cable

Post by docbee »

rg58 is the ham's swiss army knife but it is not really 1st choice in the 70cm band.

look a the attenuation on a 100m cable below.

Code: Select all

MHz 	AIRCELL7  ECOFLEX 10  AIRCOM PLUS  ECOFLEX 15  RG 58 	RG 213
432 	14,1 dB	  8,9 dB      8,2 dB 	   6,1 dB      33,2 dB	15,8 dB
so rg58 is really poor performing. You can also increase signal strength with a special antenna (like a hb9cv for directional use) instead of the groundplane coming along with the rfxcom set.

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”