controlling rfxcom under linux

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

gb1980

Post by gb1980 »

Hi,

I've been helped by snelvuur to get the xpl installed.
Now, with command: "xpl-rfxcom -v rfxcom-ip" I can see a lot of
stuff over the air.
xpl-rfxcom can connect to a rfxcom lan device at tcp port 10001, which the tcp port gets sellected automatically.

I've read over and over on the net on how to understand xpl, but I can't get the basics right.

- Do I need to start for every xpl-dommand also a xpl-hub?
- Can the xpl-? programs work together automatically, or do they need a hub?
- How can I send packets to tcp port 10002, as that is my x10 sender
- are there vmwares for misterhouse/zenah/heyu?

It's all basic stuff for the newbee I think, but can't see the tree's through the forrest ;)
Under windows, there is enough docu, but for linux, it's not so clear at the moment.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

No problem, it is a bit fuzzy. Its a pitty that there is no bigger support for this. The support that people do have is for there own tools, so there is a lot of stuff for lots of tool but not 1 that does it all. xpl-perl was the one that came the closest, without to much hassle for me. Ok , on to the issues.

For every "device" you want to use you need to start an xpl-something.
You only need to start xpl-hub once. This will act ofcourse as the hub which the other ones communicate.
At the moment xpl-perl does not yet support functionality to send messages (i have one aswell, but did not need it yet)
For zenah/xpl-perl there are no vmware images. Maybe later, but since nobody done this yet (and hosting it is a second thing)

You can use xpl-perl-setup to do the simple things first, just like http://wiki.binkey.nl/XPL-perl says also.

If you have a second (receiver) device you can startup xpl-rfxcom again with the different port.

Zenah looks difficult, and most things you can get out if it with the needed effort. The vision of the author is in some peoples eyes not always nice to work with but in the end almost everthing i asked is availible in it (although it needs some changing) but my knowledge about certain programming "looks" into this is not always 100% ;) but it do think it all has potential. At this moment xpl-perl + zenah if its all running as it should is one of the better combo's in my eyes. You can still go for misterhouse but thats maybe overkill and has a deep learning curve aswell. (and i dont see any new progress on it, maybe on the backdoor, but not on the mainsite)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
gb1980

Post by gb1980 »

Ok, so I understand sending commands is not supported at the moment, then I can see some work that can be done.
I'm not a super programmer, but with some findings/examples it has to be do-able.
For me at first I thought it would be a month project and now changed this to years :) But certainly not giving up.

Thank you for explaining xpl some more. I've done everything on the binkey.nl page and those things work.
Just Zenah has some error messages regarding the database (I think).
If I don't find the sollution within days I shall open up a ticket.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Just tell me where your stuck then.. you dont have to use mysql with xpl-perl btw (xpl-sql-logger) and zenah is handy if you have mysql support but its not needed in the end. I do however see potential when you use zenah with mysql since it stores the oregon sensors nicely in the db so you can create easy graphs. xpl-sql-logger can do something similar but its really slow since it requires complex sql query's and it logs everything.

Its good to have a new programmer, since every little bit helps... and as you might have seen it does have potential to grow into something really nice.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

Seems the trac system is back online again. Didn't see him online, but send him a IM message. Maybe that helped :-)

// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”