Don't use AC door/window sensors

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

Frosty
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Don't use AC door/window sensors

Post by Frosty »

I'm using a NEXA door sensor and only see two packets in the software. Seems fine to me. (rfxtrx..)
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

The RFXtrx will ignore duplicated packets and while the sensor transmits for about 3 to 5 seconds you will see only 1 packet or some more if another transmitter is active and disturbes the RF signals.

So better not to use these sensors!
Frosty
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Frosty »

Even if you have it set to "0" ? Why would it keep sending/spamming for 3-5 seconds? I only have one of these now, but i'll guess i have to reconsider buying more. That's unfortunate, as they are inexpensive, and work well. :(
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

These sensors are developed for stand-alone use and not for use in a home automation environment.
It is an advice! If you want to buy more go-ahead.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

b_weijenberg wrote:light/dark sensor has the motion sensor address + 1 = F4
Bert,
Are you saying that a standard MS13 sensor will send out light/dark status on the configured device-name + 1?
(so MS13 device ID is B8, it will now send out light/dark status on B9?)
Or did I misread something?

DJ

PS. Asking because I have MS13's configured like B8, B9, B10 etc. but I have never seen B9 change as a result of light/dark status of B8.
Frosty
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Frosty »

Btw, the outdoor Nexa motion sensor use ARC ( i have that one too). Not the best looking unit to use indoors however. :)
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

DJ, the dark/light sensor must be enabled in the MS13. If not enabled it will not send the dark/light packets.
Frosty
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Frosty »

I'm not sure your claims are accurate. I have several motion sensors from Nexa (AC), and a Magnet sensor, and 5-6 receivers modules. To test I triggered both the magnet sensor and one motion sensor at the same time. I could still turn off/on a lamp with a remote control within less than a second.
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

The latest AC door sensors have a wrong ON packet format and the ON (open) command is therefore not seen by the older receivers!

And here an example of a correct AC sensor producing 32 messages during 3 seconds.
ACsensor.JPG
ACsensor.JPG (194.51 KiB) Viewed 29881 times
Screamhouse
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Screamhouse »

Are the door/windows sensors suitable for just reporting on/off or without triggering an event or is that even not possible?
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

The AC door/window sensors can be used if they do not trigger an event that starts an RF transmit.
kokki
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by kokki »

I am using those Nexa sensors by Tellstick DUO and I get like 15 messages per event/motion in few seconds. I have old firmware, old software (telldus-core / tdadmin) .. old stuff for that's why that I have device under /dev and easy to control by perl scripts..

But I will move to rfxtrx if I find suitable setup for the device and for my scripts.
Tellstick DUO, soon with RFXTRX433
jonbanjo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by jonbanjo »

This seems to answer something I've been puzzling over for the last couple of hours (light switches quickly with "direct" rftxtx command but the same commands take a few seconds if sent in response to HomeEasy door sensor).

I've looked at the DS90 but it's a bit bulky and expensive so would prefer not to use it.

Does anyone know what the LightwaveRF sensors are like? I'm under the impression that they use a different protocol to AC?
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

LightwaveRF is supported by the http://www.rfxcom.com/store/Transceivers/12103. So they could give the same issues. Although i think that you can work arround this issue by using a send delay in you domotica software
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
bayoule
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by bayoule »

Hello Bert,

Is it also the same issue for AE Blyss 433mhz devices? I am thinking mostly about motion sensors? can those be used in an automation system?
Thanks

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”