Smoke detectors

Forum about Rfxcom home automation Domotica devices.

Moderator: b_weijenberg

Fischi

Smoke detectors

Post by Fischi »

Hi,
I want to install smoke detectors in our house with RFXCOM transceivers and Homeseer software and they must be very shure
Does anyone use the Flamingo FA 12 RF detectors ? They are not so pricy like Marmitek and Visonic, but are they nearly good as these ?
Whats about the KD 101 from Elro ?
Which smoke detectors do you recommend ?
Which smoke detectors also send informations about the battery status (or a low battery status ) to the RFX transceiver ?

Thanks, Fischi
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Smoke detectors

Post by b_weijenberg »

The Marmitek SD90 and the Visonic smoke detectors transmit a heart-beat and battery empty.
With the heart-beat (is xmitted at least every 80 minutes) you know the sensor is alive and operating.

The KD101 and FA12RF (is also a KD101) do not transmit battery empty and heart-beat signals so you have to test those sensors weekly manually.
sj3fk3

Post by sj3fk3 »

I'm using FA20RF's with the RFXCOM transceivers. But I don't mind testing them every now and then (also to check if the domotica system picks up the alarm). Having a heartbeat and battery-low warning would be a nice bonus, but I comes at a price :)
Kind Regards,
Greg.
Fischi

Post by Fischi »

Hi,
I've installed a Marmitek SD90 a few minutes ago and I 've configured and tested it.
I had a look at my configured security sensors in RFXCOM and I saw that the Comm fail timeout for the SD90 (KR10/21/SH624/MCT234/HP564/KD101 Remote) is 0 (zero).
Is this an issue or is it right ?
My other security sensors (eg VisonicMCT320) don't have an entry for the Comm fail timeout at the configured security sensors table.
I can't also find a way to change the 0 (zero) to another value for Comm fail out.

My second question : Do I have to activate the 'Include in power fail recovery' under the security sensor options or not ?

Please help me to make my system shure.

Regards, Fischi
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

The SD90 has two sensor options, a panic address and a alarm sensor address.
The panic sensor does not transmit a heart-beat and does not transmit a battery status.
The alarm sensor transmits the heart-beat and a low battery status.

Change the Panic address:
Hold the test button on the smoke detector and push the RF reset button (next to the RF LED) once.
Release the test button when the RF LED lights up continuously. The RF LED will go off then indicating that the change Panic address procedure is started.
When the test button is pushed again within 5 seconds the LED blinks and the Panic address will be set to 1. Every next push of the test button will increment the Panic address and the LED will blink. If the test button is not pushed for 5 seconds the RF LED will switch on for 1 second indicating that the change Sensor address procedure is started and the selected Panic address is saved.
After 16 blinks the address will roll over back to address 1 and start over again.
Note: At Panic address 16 no Panic signal is transmitted!

Change the Smoke Sensor address:
When the test button is pressed again within 5 seconds the LED blinks and the Sensor address will be set to 1. Every next push of the test button will increment the Sensor address and the LED will blink. If the test button is not pushed for 5 seconds the selected Sensor address is saved and the current address settings will be displayed. (see section Display current address settings)
After 16 blinks the address will roll over back to address 1 and start over again.
Note: At Sensor address 1 no Sensor signal is transmitted!
Fischi

Post by Fischi »

Great thanks, Stefan
I've got it running.
Do I have to mark the 'Include in power fail recovery' in the options for each of the 4 devices for the DS90 ?

Regards, Fischi
Fischi

Post by Fischi »

Hi,
Do the Visonic MST-426 smoke detectors also have a heart beat control like the SD 90 from Marmitek ?
Which are the better ones, SD90 or MCT-426 ?

Regards, Fischi
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Visonics have also the heart-beat and battery empty indication.
Performance is about the same
Fischi

Post by Fischi »

Hi,
are the Visonic indoor siren SR-720 and MCS-720 supported by RFXCOM (RFXLAN with slave receiver) ?

Regards, Fischi
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

The Visonic sirens are not supported.
Fischi

Post by Fischi »

Thanks,
I'm very glad that I asked you before buying, because i thought that the visonic sirens run with RFXCOM.
Which other siren (or another shure way to give a loud signal) do you recommend ?

Regards, Fischi
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Use a 12V siren (Conrad) and connect this with a 12V adapter to a KAKU on/off module.

Return to “Rfxcom Receivers & Transmitters Forum”