rfxcom RFreciever program

Forum regarding Windows Software and Home Automation Domotica.
francisb

Post by francisb »

Hi,

I want to know if its possible to get the information collected with this program into a database and of course how its done.
I am reading a book called Visual Basic for dummies, but thats taking a lot of time and in the mean time i cannot measure my power and gas usage.
I tried to make a program from scratch but thats to difficult for me now, so i thought maybe the RFreciever program can be adjust to connect to a database and store the data in this database.

Or maybe there is somebody who has already written a program that can do this?

Can someone help me?

regards,
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Hi francis,

Why not have a look here: http://www.rfxcom.com/supported_sw.htm

It would surprise me if there's nothing out there that can help you to store your data, create charts, etc.etc.

Doing so will then give you time enough to try and create something yourself..

Regards,
Robert
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

Francis,

Not easy to install but possible a solution to start with http://www.xpl-home.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=433

Or this http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=393

Bert
francisb

Post by francisb »

Hi,

Is there then nobody who has a peace of vbsript that gets the data from the reciever and puts it into a database?
Above solutions are time consuming because i need to find out how those solutions work (no disrespect).
I thought somebody might have something already running, no need for me to invent the wheel again.

regards,

Francis
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Nope...

No VBScript here. Only 1.3 MB of Delphi source and a website of 240 KB of aspx/vb source. That's what it would take to put your data in a database (SQL2K in my case) and actually doing something usefull with all this data you collect.
Keep in mind that the RFXCOM devices already do all the 'hard work' for you, the rest should be relatively easy, actually.
So i think your idea that you can be helped with just a few VB scripts is a bit too 'easy'.

OTOH, if you already have SQL Server running, i might be able to help you...

Robert.
francisb

Post by francisb »

Hi Robert,

I have got SQL running so if you can help me i would be very thankfull.

regards,

Francis
u_gee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by u_gee »

Does someone have a simple RFreceiver sample to read the incomming data in VB6 ?? On RFXCOM there are only VB.net samples. Currently i am programming in VB6 and although it is possible to rewrite the .net sample in VB6 i thought it would be "easier" to ask here (why invent the wheel again). I also can learn VB.Net but that would take too long at this moment. I just want to get on with the Powermax system at this moment.

I look a little bit to BWIRED here because i think he has programmed everything VB6. Maybe you can send me (udo@gorissen.nu) or attach a little sample in VB on how to receive the signal from RFreceiver, so i don't have to do the rewriting again (you already rewrote it in VB6 or wrote the reading process yourself).

Thanks in advance and ofcourse if there is some development from my side i will share it here.

U_GEE
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Using the code from the RFXCOM VB.Net examples really shouldn't be that hard i think. If you know VB6, the RFXCOM code should be easy to follow. You'll see it's not "loaded" with .Net stuff. The essential routines, that handle with recognizing devices from the packets, CRC etc., should work without much change i guess. Just give it a try...
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Agree With Digit, you can get it out of the sample with very minor adjustments. My code is embedded in my own code but I will make an attempt to get a working demo in VB6. Just give me some time I'm redecorating my home at this moment. Correction my wife is, but most the work is for me [^]
u_gee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by u_gee »

OK i will git it a shot.

I don't have .net installed so i have to do it from the .vb file in our favorite textwriter Notepad :-)
I will copy it all and delete the parts i don't need.
Which MODE on the RFXCOM do you all use to get the right (and most) info from the wireless powerbox devices ???

BWIRED i would appreciate it when you can make a sample in vb. I think it is good to learn from each others code and try to improve each others code rather then just all write our own code.

U_GEE
b_weijenberg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by b_weijenberg »

u-gee,

install the free version of Visual Studio!
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

This makes life much easier.

And install all .NET frameworks 1.1 , 2.0 , 3.0 and 3.5
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/brow ... D2463AD5D0

Bert
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Agree with Bert
I'm still on the old VB6 and changing my code piece by piece. Taking me to long now but I have to go too :-)
Now the new VS2008 is out you should really make it happen and change to Dot.Net. The code sample from rfxcom gives you the start you need.
u_gee
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by u_gee »

Although that it went very well (except for some timing issues). I decided to change to VB.net. Thanks in advance for you pointing me out that staying with VB6 is on the long term not the right thing to do.
An extra obstacle on learning the new commands and master new design features will make it all easier in the future.

I will give it a shot... so RFreceiver_VB6 is hereby canceled..

Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Any status update om your VB.net project?
equinoxe
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by equinoxe »

Hi,
Where could i find the RFXCOM VB.Net examples ?
Thanks.

Return to “Windows Forum”