Win 7: a new start or upgrade?

Forum regarding Windows Software and Home Automation Domotica.
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Win 7: a new start or upgrade?

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

Hi, I'm using a (first gen.) eeebox with XP home on it for HS2.
I use this server also as a content server for my media players.

I want to upgrade to Win7 pro (also for Remote desktop) but I have some questions:
- What is the best way: format the HDD and start all over (including HS2 etc) or use the upgrade possibility.
(I'm afraid that I will not get everything to work when starting from scratch. I had many problems getting IRtrans to work)
- I also wonder if my eeebox will be powerfull enough to keep working with win7

I use HS2, HStouch, WMP plugin, WMP (as audio/video server), IR trans and sometimes usenet application.

your feedback will be highly appreciated
**Jeroen**
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Win 7: a new start or upgrade?

Post by Mdamen »

I personally prefer a fresh install for any new version of Windows...
Although upgrade is most likely the easiest method, every upgrade leaves some traces of the old Windows version...
Do you have a spare hard disk handy to test the new Windows 7 install? That way you can also test question number 2 :-)
mhn

Post by mhn »

I don't know about EEE box. But at work I have an Atom based netbook with dual boot XP and Win 7.

I newer use Win 7 on that, I don't have the patience.

I recommend, you try windows 7 on a spare HDD first. :-)
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Microsoft says upgrade from XP isn't possible.
Alexander
simjoc

Post by simjoc »

Never upgrade to a new version of windows, sooner or later you'll get problems with it. What Alexander sad is true, from xp isn't possible.
The best way is if you have a spare disk to make a clone of your HDD to the spare one, in that case you can always turn back to the old settings.
Then install windows7 to your disk. What is the exact reason you want to upgrade to Win7?
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

I was able to get official Win7 for very low price (cheap prices for teachers). So I bought a pro version.
2 main reasons:
- My bravia TV can stream video files. To be able to stream all format I need WMP12. WMP 12 as a server only works on win7.
- I have XP home which has no RDP. Upgrading to pro offers me RDP possibilities.

I gues I will have to start from scratch. I have found some topics telling me how to do this quicker. (install HS2 and all plugin's, then copy old HS2 map to new system)

Thanks for the feedback guys.
**Jeroen**
John

Post by John »

I also own an Asus EEE Box. I also have plans to upgrade to Win7 because some applications only run on Win7. If you upgrade from XP also a new install is done as it is not possible to upgrade from XP. I will follow this topic to see if you observe problems. How many memory contains your EEE box?

John
phoenixb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by phoenixb »

Hi Jeroen,

I have a few weeks ago having the same issue I have also a old Asus EEEBox (the B202 ) running on XP pro and want to upgrade to a Win7 ulitimate.
The old WinXP had running:
-Homeseer
-Home build Lightning detection
-Cumulus (weather software)
-Weatherlink
And some small programs like Plugwise, USBwebserver, etc.
My decision was a little bit easy I want also install a new HDD (A New SSD HDD with a total cap. of 265Gb) and some extra memory (from 1Gb to 2Gb).
So I have install everything new and I must say this was I nice moment to install Homeseer in a fresh environment ;-)

Grtz,

Return to “Windows Forum”