Need some answers about VMPlayer usage

Forum regarding Windows Software and Home Automation Domotica.
AshaiRey

Need some answers about VMPlayer usage

Post by AshaiRey »

Background
Making system images is a good thing but hardware tends to break after some time. So if you have to replace your motherboard then you images hasn't much value anymore. This made me think about running home automation in a virtual machine enviroment making it hardware independend. Another option would be buying 5 motherboards at once (and related hardware) and prolonge this situation as long as possible.

What do i have/need
I have a small energy efficient pc running 1.5 GHz Atom quad core with 2 Gb memory, Window 7 as operating system. The machine need to have 1 parallel port and 1 serieel port (this one has those two). The parallel port is used to control a home build whole house audiosystem en the serieel port for my home build whole house VR system. On this hardware my system runs nicely, smooth and stable so this will be the state that i can live by the next few decades. :)

Where am i now
I've installed VMPlayer on my HA server and it's running Win7 and all other software. Haven't had the change to test the serieel and parallel connections because they are in use. The whole process of installing (120 win updates) and such took me a few days to complete and i made a backup of this virtual machine. All in all my first impression is that the virtual machine is rather unresponsive and slow.

What do i want to know
- The machine got 4 cores. When i run VMPlayer i assign 2 to the virtual OS. Is this the right way to do?
- Same with memory. I got 2 Gb and i assign half to the VM.
- What is the preferred way of running the machine in such way that you only have 1 VM running to serve for home automation?
- Is this hardware enough to run a VM reliable? Only the VM, nothing else) or do i need better specs
- If i need better specs wouldn't that kill the low energy consumption?
- Are there any cavcats that i need to know or best practices?

Thanks for all the input.
Bram
Bram
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Need some answers about VMPlayer usage

Post by bartbakels »

Bram,

As far as i know, i think u are using an atom processor. This does not allow hardware virtualisation. Im looking for exactlythe same setup. I want a lowcost/lowpower vmware host to run my homeseer vm. Im now running it form an asus eebox but i dont think this can act as a powerfull enough host

Regards

Bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Hi Bart,
Thanks for your rely. It's indeed an Atom processor. At the moment i have mixed feelings about it. I know this is a good solution but it takes so much tyime to install everything and testing it to make sure all work as it should. I have a very stable system now and a high WAF. I don't want to loose either one by experimenting. I am very divided between these two situations. Since i use a lightweight low budget server i could also buy 5 pieces of the same hardware so i have replacement material in the future. Much less hassle, less time consuming and it's a proven setup. It's a strange thought but it could be acceptable.
Bram
bartbakels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by bartbakels »

Hi bram,

I took the plunge. I ordered a second hand eeebox 1501 and want to install esxi on it. It should work, according to some post on the net. I woul like to have 1 or 2 vms active using this box

Hs2 production
Hs3 production linked to the hs2 vm
And a development vm with both with dot netand labview development tools

If this is not performing or not working this eeebox will be my backup for my current eb1007 eebox and will be used for my HS3 migration

Regards

Bart
Software: HS3, HStouch, Plugwise , BLBackup, BLLatestImage, Zwave, JowiHUE, PHlocation, Netcam, Harmony Plugin, ThinkingCleaner, HSPhone, Eneco Toon Script, Pushover, Visonic Powermax LV Interface

(ON ESXI )on NUC

Return to “Windows Forum”