"real" led strip usage at 12/220V

Forum about LEDS, LED lights, DMX and other lights.

Moderator: Mversluis

vincenttor

"real" led strip usage at 12/220V

Post by vincenttor »

I have been searching always what the real usage is for LED strips.
And the 14.2w per meter is nonsense like most advertisements say.
It is nice to know what the usage is at 12V but nowhere stands the usage at 220V what we would like to know.

So i made a small excel sheet , measured this with a Fluke meter.

(yes i know that we have in the Netherlands 230V but at the moment of measuring there was 221V on te net.)

rovinge

Re: "real" led strip usage at 12/220V

Post by rovinge »

I do recognize the wattage figures shown in the table; through plugwise I see similar figures for a number of 12V LED strips I use..

Then I tend to dim my LED strips/bulbs so instead of consuming the full wattage they are using a only portion of that.

However, even if with the full wattage these LEDs are cheaper then the original lightbulbs or initial 220v LED strips that were doing 10Watts per meter.

Just my two cents
vincenttor

Re: "real" led strip usage at 12/220V

Post by vincenttor »

Yes i noticed it with some measuring also.
I powered them actually with a 12V supply, when i placed a pwm dimmer on it with the same LED strips then the usage dropped already.
So i thought maybe the power was lower but it was still 12V coming out of the dimmer.
Could dim the lights untill they were almost off , power stays the same, amps go down.
But in my case i got 120M of LED strips, connected to a dmx decoder and i was actually quite curious if the usage went down when used a dimmer.
Since with halogen lights the usage stays the same , dim light or bright since its not with pulses (pwm)

Return to “LEDS, DMX & Lights Forum”