Controlling LED driver touch input switch with R-Pi

Forum about LEDS, LED lights, DMX and other lights.

Moderator: Mversluis

noone3000
Starting Member
Starting Member

Controlling LED driver touch input switch with R-Pi

Post by noone3000 »

I would like to automate some cabinetry LED lights and have them turn on and off at different times each day. These LEDs are connected to a 24v driver. The driver is controlled by a touch sensitive switch. You touch the switch momentarily to turn it off and on. You hold your finger on it to set the brightness level which is remembered as long as the driver stays plugged in.

What signal do I send to the driver from the R-Pi to simulate this switch and be able to control this lighting remotely? Thanks for any input in pointing me in the right direction. See attached pics of the driver, switch and attached LED light.

noone3000
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Controlling LED driver touch input switch with R-Pi

Post by noone3000 »

For further clarification, there are 4 wires coming out of the touch sensor into the input on the 24v driver. Red, black, yellow and white wires. I assume the red and black are power and ground.
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I think you can just replace the switchsensor with a push button. It seems that they are available as an option

http://www.kitchensource.com/cabinet-li ... 89.040.htm

Or just find the pin-out of that switch which might be possible if you open up the sensor. You can also try to shot-circuit the white and yellow pin to see if the dimmer starts up but it can also kill the dimmer :twisted: If it starts up you can use an relais board connected to a pi to control the lighting
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
noone3000
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by noone3000 »

Thanks for the response.

The lighting will turn on and off on full brightness when you power the driver if the switch is left unplugged. I would like to be able to control the brightness of the lights with the R-Pi hooked up to the switch inputs. Is there any way I can test the output voltage of the switch while tapping it or holding my finger on it (which varies the brightness and holds that brightness level when you lift your finger)?

Alternatively, could I just add resistors on to each light to limit the brightness and then use a relay to power the driver with the R-Pi? That doesn't sound as fun though, because my brightness level achieved with the resistors on each light is fixed and unchangeable.
Last edited by Bwired on Wed May 25, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please stop quoting!

Return to “LEDS, DMX & Lights Forum”