ChromoFlex III RC - USB Dongle Problem

Forum about LEDS, LED lights, DMX and other lights.

Moderator: Mversluis

Richard

ChromoFlex III RC - USB Dongle Problem

Post by Richard »

Hello to all,

About a 8 months ago we purchased a Chromoflex III RC controller with an RC Remote and USB Dongle. The setup is now installed in our kitchen (after laying for 7.5 months in the corner not being used).
The result is absolutely stunning. (I'll try if i can upload some pics here).

In the last 0.5 year i sometimes played with the CF3 and USB dongle, all works fine. Last week i attached the USB dongle for the first time to my Win7
Pro machine and start 'playing' again :) later that day i want to switch off the RC3 via the standard "Color Editor Software" but i ran into some problems.
(later tested under XP pro, same story as above. and it always has worked under this version before)

Every time i start de Color Editor software i get the following error, "No USB Interface found" after some 'investigation' it looks that my usb dongle
is reseted or cleared (or just broken :cry:). The USB dongle uses the FTDI F232R chip-set, with some software (MProg.exe) from the FTDI company you
can readout/re-program the F232R chip-set.

When i take a look @ the field 'Product Description' it now says "USB Serial Converter" (this description can also be found when looking via the
Windows Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers -> USB Serial Converter or Chromoflex)
. That's a strange point because the color editor
software is only looking for devices with an product description called "Chromoflex". So based on the above info the the error message "No USB Interface found" is valid.

My questions to you guys (and girls off course),
  • - Are there any users present with an CF3 and USB Dongle?
    - If there are any users with the USB dongle, can and are you willing to provide me some info about the used driver(settings)?
    - Has anybody heard before about this 'strange' problem(s)?
    - Anybody ideas the reset, check, test the USB Dongle?
    - Does anybody know if there are Firmware upgrades/downloads available for: the USB Dongle / CF3 Controller?
    - Other questions, points to discuss or information?

PS.
  • I'm already in contact with Barthelme about this problem, but i thought why not ask you guys also.
    I'll try to attach some screen shots of the MProg software and the Windows Device Manager to clear some things up.

For users who want to use the MProg.exe software... be carefull, make sure you first use the "Read and Parse" (via the Tools menu) option
    so you can use the "Save As" option to make a copy of your current FTDI device settings. (this tool allows you to upload (default?) settings also, brick up you device?)

Thank you for your time and effort, and a Merry Christmas to everybody.
Attachments
CF3_Error.png
CF3_Error.png (25 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
CF3_MProg.png
CF3_MProg.png (57.99 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
CF3_WinDevMan.png
CF3_WinDevMan.png (135.82 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
With best regards,

R. Lichtendahl, The Netherlands - Europe (+1 GMT)
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: ChromoFlex III RC - USB Dongle Problem

Post by drmacchi »

Hi , my usb dongles use a prolific 2303 chip, but did you check here?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers, lorenzo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Lorenzo,

I've checked the FTDI website, from this site i downloaded the USBView and MProg tool.
(this was done before my problems started, because i used the MProg tool earlyer for re-program some other FTDI devices)

Maybe i don't understand you correctly, but is there a specific subject to look for on the FTDI/VCP page?

PS. Nice the boys and girls from Barthelme are on a short holiday :( so i don't expect an answer on short time (read: in a couple of days)
With best regards,

r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

Richard did you try the option add legacy hardware... ( works for most non win7 drivers )

its in the devicemanager >> menu options >> add legacy hardware ( if i am right )
Helped me with a serial to usb device. Hope it works for you to.

Robin
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Robin,

I didn't try that option before. Just overlooked the Windows Device Manager again but i still can't find the option you mentioned.

On the other hand i don't think that the problem has to do anything with the 'incompatibility' of Win7, because
a) the FTDI drivers are fully Win7 compatible
b) the usb dongle also doesn't work on my WinXp Pro/Home installation anymore.

But I'll stand open for suggestions, so if i can find the option you mentioned I'll give it a try. :D
With best regards,

r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

Its kind of hard to find option i realised when i was looking for it again...

Select the device and the option shows as you see in the prtscreen. Just try this with older and stable drivers like vista or xp drivers.
Attachments
scrprt.jpg
scrprt.jpg (56.02 KiB) Viewed 5730 times

Return to “LEDS, DMX & Lights Forum”