Strip LED help

Forum about LEDS, LED lights, DMX and other lights.

Moderator: Mversluis

superdon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Strip LED help

Post by superdon »

Hi

I am currently converting a small cellar room into a home cinema. As part of it we want to put in some mood lighting effects. We ideally want about 5m of dimmable colour changing strips.

I have spoken with a couple of companies. Ultraleds have suggested the following items. It comes to about £150 which seems a lot.

I have seen a similar sized kit on eBay for half the price.

So I am asking. Are these bits worth the money? Or can I get the same or better for cheaper?

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u3800-contro ... -2116.html

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/sw3126plug12 ... -1061.html

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/self-adhesiv ... -1517.html

superdon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Strip LED help

Post by superdon »

I take it this forum is dead?

Anyone care to recommend an eBay seller or cheap supplier for 5m if tape, epoxy resin coated with a decent IR controller with lots of modes, functions and dimming ?
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

I am using LEDstrips I bought from Ebay for over a year and they still work fine. I am sure there is a quality difference between different brands. Depening where you use them and how important they are you could choose a matching quality.

I buy here: http://stores.shop.ebay.nl/Your-Reliabl ... QQ_armrsZ1

Quick and good communication.

Bastiaan

BTW it's not so nice to ask if a forum is "dead". It might be you are asking about something that has been discussed many times before and may be you should get a little more 'active' and do some proper searches. There are plenty of threads with info about the same subject.
superdon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by superdon »

Thank you. That is tge eBay seller I was going to buy from. Which kit did you buy or what do you recommend?
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

I am using the super bright 600 ones in my garage to replace fluorescent tubes, use the standard 300 RGB strip in one of my living rooms and also bought the waterproof 300 warm white for the garden but had no time to install yet.

The waterproof ones are more like 'a bit protected agains rain' . Waterproof is something very different ( for a scuba guy)

Bastiaan
superdon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by superdon »

Thanks again. Which controllers are you using? I want one with a few effects. I see some you can make your own colour rather than just the standard 7 colours.

Would the 150 strips be ok for mood lighting?
coastus
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by coastus »

Hey Bastiaan, Have you already installed the LED strips. What is the energy you are saving? Unfortenately this forum is dead. But I think LED and LED strips are still developing interesting topics. Is there any other topic about LED lights?
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Well there have been many topics about LED lights here.
I am not measuring the energy saving anymore but it must be substantial. The normal fluorecent tubes in my garage use most power when starting up. There is a whole bunch there I guess around 10. The LED strip is quicker on (switched by Zwave) and uses way less power. The only thing I have to change is the power adapter that came with it. It has a very low efficiency. If I remember well the LED strip uses as much energy as one tube.

Return to “LEDS, DMX & Lights Forum”