IR trans VS. Philips RFX9400

Forum about hardware/software for the Philips Pronto TSU9600 and other remotes.

Moderator: hvxl

Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

Because my new AV system is not in direct line of sight and to better integrate my Pronto TSU9600 with my domotica I am thinking about buying the RFX9400 (270) or an IR trans (190).

IR trans pros:
- PoE (no extra cables behind the stereo
- nice plugin for HS
- universal
- can send signals based on HS events (such as turn off HD-receiver when bedroom TV is shutdown)

Cons/unknowns:
- delay from TSU9600 to actual IR signal sending. Especially when I scroll through music or movies on my AppleTV or HDX player. Does anyone have handson exprience with this?
- Don't know how to get the signal from the TSU9600 to the IR trans (wifi?)
- Don't know about the necessity of the extra "library" for IR codes in my setup

RFX9400:
- Works seamlessly with Pronto remote (so I guess no delay)
- less delay when activating the remote

Cons/unknowns:
- more expensive then IR trans
- don't know if it will accept HS command to send IR without Pronto remote

The overal important thing is an acceptable delay when activating the remote or when scrolling through content, and making it work without line of sight.

Any extra insights or sugestions?
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I would choose the IRTrans. Only when the RFX9400 can also accept commands from HS then i wouldn't know what the best choice would be in your situation. If the RFX9400 cannot accept commands from HS, that would result in a IR solution completely isolated from the rest of your domotica system. I don't think that's a great idea. Try to find a solution where you can integrate.

Delay shouldn't have to be an issue. I send IR with the IRTrans by sending commands from my TSU9600 to my HA system over wifi and my HA system 'forwards' them to the IRTrans; but just as easily to lights, garage door opener or whatever (integration!). There is no noticeable delay when zapping through TV channels or quickly pumping up the volume (however this is not HS).

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Robert
http://www.hekkers.net <i>Digit's Online Home.</i></font id="size1">
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

I have a rfx9400.. it works as advertised, but only for the pronto. Also what you would expect is not the case, the "zapping" of channels is too slow.. normally you press zap zap zap, but it has a delay, its small but very annoying. As far as i know, Chak tested this same concept then with irtrans which is actually faster in zapping through channels for instance then having a rfx9400.

So thats why i now have a itrans lying to be installed. So i gues my rfx9400 will become free soon :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Post-IT

Post by Post-IT »

Erik,

how is scrolling through a list of songs for example using the RFX9400? Is the delay you are talking about acceptable?

Looking at the comments I think the most flexible way to go is the IRtrans, even the PoE version is cheaper then the RFX9400.

Two questions about the IRtrans:
1) Looking at my situation do I need to buy the IRtrans with or without the IR library?
2) If I want to use the secondary output, how long can the IR cable be?
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

you dont need a library, you can learn everything. Only thing you need if you want to use that "RED" thingy, but i think you dont want to go for that anyway.

I dont know about secondary outputs... maybe check the forum posts surrounding the sales which chak did.

i think it is not acceptable the delays on the rfx9400.. for normal day to day stuff its fine and fast.. but for repeating commands its bad.

// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Philips Pronto (TSU9600), IRtrans and other remotes”