slingbox solo

Forum about Domotica related gadget like Pocketpc, UMPC, Smartphones, Ipad Etc

Moderator: TANE

Mhwlng

slingbox solo

Post by Mhwlng »

I recently installed a slingbox solo

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox-solo

So that I can watch tv when travelling and in my bedroom without requiring a pc with a tv card and videolan (my previous solution).

(snelvuur previously mentioned this device as well)

(it's currently connected via composite video, but I have a
RGB SCART -> component video converter,

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCART-RGB-to-YU ... m153.l1262

which I still need to hook up
to the slingbox for a bit better picture quality..)

I got my slingbox from UPC in Holland (I think for EUR 140,- ?)

disadvantage :
* proprietary streaming protocol, so you must use their player

advantages :

* works really well to control the UPC digital tv set-top box via infrared
(the player shows a picture of the real UPC remote control that you can click and it reacts really quick so I can easily use all UPC functions: tv-guide, hard disk recorder etc.)

* analyses available bandwidth and adjusts/optimizes stream accordingly. this works pretty good..

on my LAN, it uses 5000-6000kbps (connected via wifi 802.11n )

in Schiphol Airport (via wifi 802.11g), I get 700kbps (probably my ADSL maximum upload speed)

I'm currently watching tv on my laptop, in a hotel in the U.K. (via wifi 802.11g) and I get about 450kbps (WIFI costs 15 EUR / day here, so it's not cheap [:)] )

I think the picture at this speed is still quite watchable... (obviously, not fantastic, but sound is in sync and no hiccups...)

Marcel
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

slingbox solo

Post by Snelvuur »

I just got home from work, had to wait till some verification was done. So i watched southpark (comedy central southpark weekend) which is ok with my upstream, also about your speed. I have an older model, but you can just get one from the u.k. if you dont want to go for the solo. Works fine here too (has netherlands in setup aswell) They used to have non-proprietary, but thats about 1 or 2 years ago then they switched to new firmwares. If you can get a really old firmware its still playable with mediaplyer as far as i know, but i dont think this model is old enough :) Upc is the only person that offers any slingbox boxes though.

You can also go for a dreambox, the new dreambox 800 (yes 800 not 8000) is coming out, if not allready there which has hd support and als vlc streaming which works very well allready on my dm7000.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mhwlng

slingbox solo

Post by Mhwlng »

I'm currently watching 'top gear' in my hotel in Miami at 160-260kbps [:D]
(free internet)

you don't want to watch full screen at this bitrate, but no hiccups and sound is in sync...

can the dreambox dynamically adjust the stream/resolution according to available bandwidth ?

Marcel

Return to “Gadgets Forum”