Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Time Capsule

Post by TANE »

Time Capsule is a NAS box with some extras

- Router
- Switch
- Access point

Time capsule is the only NAS box with support for the Time machine.
price: 299 euro (500gb)

[img]uploaded/Chak/20084281509_tc.jpg[/img]

HS 2.2.66 - Plug-ins:
ACT TI103, ActiveBackup, BLEditor, DooNetwork, PowerTrigger, IRtrans, Prontonic, RFXCOM, Rover, Netcam, QuickView, JonControl
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Time Capsule

Post by Snelvuur »

I think the n5200 pro which is in the topic of the droboshare is better though. i've not heard many good reviews about this device.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Time Capsule

Post by TANE »

N5200 is not comparable and to slow for the Time machine function
Apple device is using HFS..you need this for Time machine

HS 2.2.66 - Plug-ins:
ACT TI103, ActiveBackup, BLEditor, DooNetwork, PowerTrigger, IRtrans, Prontonic, RFXCOM, Rover, Netcam, QuickView, JonControl
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Time Capsule

Post by Snelvuur »

dont know how fast the througput is.. but on network i think the n5200 pro is faster, i've seen a comparison where the Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ is allready faster then the time capsule. (just telling nothing else)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Time Capsule

Post by TANE »

N5200 is a great product...but EVA 8100 is much faster...or not???
The Netgear Storage Central Turbo 101T is also very fast and cheap...<100 euro
http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/productd ... urbo_101T/
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1219/3 ... index.html
Netgear wins...but it's not a better product

Apple device is a single disk device with HFS+ support.
There are no other devices on the market with HFS+

HS 2.2.66 - Plug-ins:
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Time Capsule

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chak</i>
<br />N5200 is not comparable and to slow for the Time machine function
Apple device is using HFS..you need this for Time machine<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I beg to differ here; The Thecus N5200pro can be called a lot of things, but <i>slow</i> is not one of them. <i>Screaming fast</i> would be a lot more accurate to describe it's performance:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/29616/75/
I am not aware of any other NAS currently on the market that boasts a read speed of well over 45MB/s. Most of them have a Gigabit Ethernet NIC, but don't even exceed the throughput of an old fashioned 100Mb/s Ethernet connection...

Incomparable, yes: The N5200 a professional device, where the Time Capsule is a consumer device, at about 1/3rd of the price of a N5200 (without disks). Don't get me wrong: I have been an Apple fan since the 68k based Macintoshes. I have an iPod, a professional PowerMac and soon I will order a new MacBook. But I wouldn't consider the Time Capsule an alternative for my N5200 because I use it professionally and reliability is essential to me.

I'm not really sure what you mean with the lack of HFS+ support. HFS+ is a file system, not a file sharing protocol. NAS boxes don't offer access to their storage at a disk level (unless you use iSCSI). Instead they offer access through a network share protocol. Examples are CFIS (called Samba under Linux) in Windows, AFP in MaxOS X and NFS in Unix. Therefore the actual file the NAS box uses to store files on it's disks is irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure the Time Machine has some cleveries on board to ensure a perfect integration with Time Machine. I doubt if you cannot get it to work with the N5200, but it may require a lot of tickering where the Time Capsule works right out of the box.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Time Capsule

Post by Snelvuur »

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=818231 need i say more?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Time Capsule

Post by TANE »

I totally agree n5200 is fast one of the best.
Like most NAS drives this one is also using samba i think.
I'm not saying that the apple nas is faster then the n5200.

I have done some testing with Windows 2003 shares. This is working but slow..

For Time machine you need to reformat the the drive with HFS+ what will add extra option's like journaling

see the wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machi ... _software)

HS 2.2.66 - Plug-ins:
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Time Capsule

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chak</i>
<br />I totally agree n5200 is fast one of the best.
Like most NAS drives this one is also using samba i think.
I'm not saying that the apple nas is faster then the n5200.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The N5200 does Samba indeed, but it also does AFP 3(Apple Filing Protocol) and NFS (Network File System). So I suppose it should work with Macs too.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have done some testing with Windows 2003 shares. This is working but slow..<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Hm, I use my N5200Pro with a Windows 2003 Active Directory setup too, but I have never noticed it being slow. But it could be; I've never really benchmarked it becuase it's still fast enough for me.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">For Time machine you need to reformat the the drive with HFS+ what will add extra option's like journaling
see the wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machi ... ftware)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I'm getting really curious here, but unfortunately wikipedia didn't offer the answers here. I really don't see how the file system on your NAS box drive affects Time Machine's functionality because NAS boxes offer access at a file level, not at a file system level. If your share a drive under windows, no remote user will see if that drive is formatted either with the FAT file system or with the NTFS file system. A client doesn't even have to have support for either a FAT of NTFS file system: It only needs to support CIFS.
Perhaps apple has extendend AFP a bit to accomodate Time Machine, but I cannot find anything about that. I think Time Machine will work just fine on any NAS supporting AFP, regardless of how it's internal drives are formatted, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
My drives are formatted Ext3, with data in the journal for maximum reliability. You're most welcome to come over, benchmark it and see how it works for you.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Time Capsule

Post by TANE »

Hi all,
I'm not saying that samba nas devices are slow..
Most of my date is running directly from NAS or Windows 2003 share.
Performance and speed is more than acceptable...almost same as local disk.

Time machine is using some special commands in the file system to make snapshots.
default you can't use other devices for the Time machine...but with some tweaking this is possible.
I found out that all the network devices are slow when they are not HFS+ formated when using the Time Machine.

Okay back to the topic again Time Capsule is a nice gadget and for sure not a high performing NAS device..

HS 2.2.66 - Plug-ins:

Return to “Gadgets Forum”