Denon 3808 av receiver with ethernet port

Forum about Domotica related gadget like Pocketpc, UMPC, Smartphones, Ipad Etc

Moderator: TANE

Mhwlng

Post by Mhwlng »

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main ... il&Pid=339&

this denon 3808 av receiver has an ethernet port...

You can use telnet or http to control all functions.
(some lower models have an rs232 port for remote control: same protocol as over telnet)

firmware update from the internet also works (this took 1 hour last night)

Girder has support for the various serial and ethernet denon amplifiers already built-in.
So, I can just give a lua command like : Denon:PowerOff() and the amplifier is switched off
(obviously, the ethernet port and related processor stays powered on [8D] )

Of course, a lot of this remote control functionality, you could also do via infrared (e.g. irtrans device)

but now, my application automatically gets notified in girder every time there is a (manual) change to the current volume level, active input, power on state etc.

and setting an absolute volume level, via infrared (via a slider in netremote) would be difficult. normally, you would need volume up/down buttons

so now, if I leave the living room, the amplifier is automatically powered off (and also the tv, via an irtrans device)

internet radio streaming works (not something, I want to use).

Also a uPnP av renderer is built-in, controllable via the IR remote control and on-screen GUI.

(no album art or photo display, this is reserved for even more expensive models)

I tried to play music from a synology DS107+ with twonkymedia 4.4.4.i installed on it as uPnP av media server (so I don't use the built-in synology uPnP server).

this works ok....
navigating a collection of 20.000 songs (organized as artist\album\track) is fast enough (using the on-screen GUI, I didn't use the 2 line display on the receiver)...

I found that I can remotely select, start and stop a particular song using uPnP :

I used this open source c++ toolkit :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/platinum/

and I used the supplied example program : MicroMediaController.exe

so my pc is the uPnP av control point

I'm still investigating this further... (using netremote/girder)

(my current solution for music involves a pc with j river media center, which can be easily remote controlled by girder/netremote)

note :

I have UPC digital tv, which has an RGB scart output.

this amplifier only supports composite,s-video,component analog video inputs.

so, I got one of these :

SCART RGB to YUV Component Video Converter

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCART-RGB-to-YU ... m153.l1262

Marcel

TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

This receiver is just WOW

There is also pronto pro support for this device...
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

WOW indeed!
It was only last week i mentioned here at home: "Nah, the current AV Receiver is still working fine, don't need a new one for at least the next few years"
Stupid, stupid...[xx(]
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Robert you need one....[:D]
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Yeah, i know, but now i have to convince some else to that i do... [:D]
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I'm going to buy a new receiver and speakers next year..
spec.
thx+ (wish)
network support
Pronto connectivitie via network
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

this device has zones, is it possible to listen to different music / input in another room/zone?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mhwlng

Post by Mhwlng »

I think that is possible ?

it's not a feature I used or tested....

I think that you can assign a different source to each zone...

so I think that you can't play different mp3 files via uPnP, USB or ipod to two different zones...

if you have several analog/digital music or video sources then you can have different music/(analog)video in different zones..

the amplifier comes with 2 remote controls, to use in different rooms.
(no IR extender is included)

here's the manual of the AVR-3808CI (note that I don't have the 'CI' model with XM radio etc.)

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3510.asp

Marcel
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

since i was thinking about getting this http://www.hacs.com/essall.php 2 sources and 8 zones.. with rs232 and homeseer plugin will follow.. maybe this can do the same.. although i'am not sure..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Mhwlng

Post by Mhwlng »

this amplifier only has the main zone and 2 additional zones. (see above manual for a description)

I have 3 zones at home, but I handle zones with a (small) pc in each room connected to wifi or wired ethernet... I can control the playlist separately, for each zone from one umpc or pda with netremote

alternatively, there are a lot of low cost, small wifi/ethernet connected uPnP music players around, these days...

alternatively, a single pc with j river media center also handles multiple zones, so if you have a 5.1 sound card -> 3 stereo zones
you can use multiple sound cards (also usb connected ones)

Marcel
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

What about this, the WAK3000 by Philips: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/w/wak3 ... fu_nld.pdf.

(Runs on Linux)

Als het niet gerepareerd kan worden dan is het niet kapot!
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jfn</i>
<br />What about this, the WAK3000 by Philips: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/w/wak3 ... fu_nld.pdf.
(Runs on Linux)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Doesn't even come close to the the quality of Denon. And if you don't mind about that: It runs software from India...
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Thanks Marcel.. I never was interested in Audio equipment -- now I am [:)]

This looks like a pretty cool device.. I will dig into it and see how it could enhance my TV/Sound/Audio experience.

Cheers
DJ
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

I know (I own Denon equipment myself). But the discussion was about multi-room music, not about quality.

And if background music is what you want, quality is of less importance.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jfn</i>
<br />What about this, the WAK3000 by Philips: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/w/wak3 ... fu_nld.pdf.
(Runs on Linux)
Doesn't even come close to the the quality of Denon. And if you don't mind about that: It runs software from India...

Als het niet gerepareerd kan worden dan is het niet kapot!
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jfn</i>
<br />I know (I own Denon equipment myself). But the discussion was about multi-room music, not about quality.

And if background music is what you want, quality is of less importance.
I'm sorry; I didn't read all of the posts.

The Denon is really tempting. It combines a good quality amplifier with internet streaming technology and it even allows te be controlled over its network connection. I think this last option serves just a niche-market for geeks like us, but I'm happy to see it's a top brand like Denon offering this instead of a Taiwanese gadget company. My Philips TV has an Ethernet connection too and I know it runs a Linux based operating system (because I was one of the developers), but it can only be used to play content through a program installed on one of your PCs. No Samba client, let alone network controlled. A real missed chance. Denon obviously got it right.

Even though I like the multi-room approach, is think it's a bit of a yesterdays-feature; You need to put loudspeaker wires through all of your house and you still haven't got a local controll panel to even turn up or down the volume. It defeats the purpose a bit; All the wires will only save an amplifier. A real good one though, but like you said, I don't need a real good amplifier in my office because I don't have real good loudspeakers there anyway. I have 5.1 Dynaudio in my livingroom and if I want to listen to music I will go there, not my office ;-)

I have been thinking about the Sonos sound system:
http://www.sonos.com/
I looks nice, it's got all the features I need, but I do think it's over-priced. A zone player with amplifier costs 500Euro and you'll need one in every room.

A more affordable alternative is the Logitech Squeezebox Duet:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speak ... vices/3817
It doesn't have a built-in amplifier, but it does offer a digital output. Unfortunately you still need an amplifier with it...

Return to “Gadgets Forum”