Comparing PLCBUS vs XANURA vs KAKU

Forum about PLCBUS devices & software.

Moderator: Digit

Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

Ok starting with domotics. I want a few simple thing to start with but i want it also in a way that anybody (in the house) simple can use a basic remote.
Only Kaku and plcbus can have two ways to control.
1st via four button remote
2s via software

Can somebody explain the difference other that:
PLCBUS is encrypted
Both are 2 ways

the rest.....

PS I tried the search funtion but came only to the point above mentioned.
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

Xanura (A10) and X10 can both be controlled using a remote, software, when using a PC interface, and depending on the device using a normal in wall light switch. Communication is done via powerline (for motion detectors and remote control it is over RF). Xanura is 2-way, X10 can be 1-way or 2-way depending on the device. Xanura (A10) is an improvement upon X10, sensitivity is higher which means it is more reliable. There are different remote controls available ranging from a few buttons dedicated X10 control to a universal remote control that can also send IR to be used on all your TV and audio equipment. X10 and Xanura device can be mixed and controlled via the same remote control and computer interface.

PLCBUS looks very much like Xanura and X10 but is not compatible. PLCBUS can be controlled using a remote, sofware, when using a PC interface, and in wall light switches. Communication is done via powerline. I do not know if PLCBUS has things like motion detectors.

KAKU is 1-way and communication over RF. In my experience this is the least reliable technique. KAKU can be controlled via a remote control and via software when using an RFXCOM transmitter.

Rene.
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

thanks rene. this confirms my idea (more or less). I think that for the build in part i will take Xanura and for the simple things like temporarily switching christmas light i'll take the kaku (i would like 2 way but i did not find anything) plcbus. I thought that PLCBUS was RF based but triggered by your respons i took a closer look and found out that this is not true (http://www.elekhomica.nl/product_info.p ... odqonm8e02)
Ruud
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Ruud »

how about plugwise??? 2way /usage reg/ cheap and there is a homeseerplug!! (thanks to Rene)

Gr Ruud
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

Absolutely but not for the "digibeet" who just want to switch the christmas lights outside in the garden. They just want a small, simple box with buttons on/off. And besides that christmas is coming soon and homeseer is not running yet and the ordered plugwise are still not arrived.
Do you know is simple remote whisch switches plugwise like kaku does?
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

The specifications of the plugwise plugs state an operational temperature of > 0 degrees and are not IP44 compliant. In other words not applicable for outside use.

Rene.
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

Ahum, that's right. Did not think about ip44. Just one solution left, kaku. http://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/product_detail.asp?id=57
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

So garden solved. Still not clear for inside, Xanura or PLCBUS. How to make a choice? Is it depending on what you want, just swiching lights and wallsockets on or off. If you want more like.... then you should go for xanura. For me it looks like there is no functionaly difference between xanura and plcbus but obviously i'm missing something because the both exists.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Xanura or PLCBUS: actually you don't have to choose. You can use both on your powerline at the same time, as i do. And there are converters: http://www.elekhomica.nl/product_info.p ... cts_id=736
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Some additions:
PLCBUS is not encrypted! I know some have encryption, but IIRC that's only 1 or 2 remotes controls. And there are no native motion sensors for PLCBUS.
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

Could you please explain which one to use for which purpose?
What would be the stong or weak part of the brands?
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Here my opinion:

<b>Xanura</b>
- Very large userbase hence large knowledgebase;
- Good support;
- Products more versatile;
- Has already proven itself.

<b>PLCBUS</b>
- Faster then Xanura;
- Small userbase;
- Plugin-modules have local switches;
- Cheaper.

I'm not going to advise you Xanura or PLCBUS; i have both, they both work fine, so i just look what is best in a specific situation and use that, and actually don't mind whether it's coming from Xanura or PLCBUS.
pyotr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by pyotr »

Hi Robert,

Back in May you wrote "but don't beleive everything you read. PLCBUS has the same problems with noise as X10 has, although i can't give any real comparison on that. Yet."

Now you've been using PLCBUS for a while and are also using Xanura, can you tell us about the reliability of PLCBUS (esp. compared to Xanura)?

PLCBUS (when ordered in Hong Kong) is about half the price of Xanura, makes it very tempting indeed. Not having to install a € 80 filter in the main fusebox is icing on the cake [^]

Electronica werkt op rook; als de rook eruit is, werkt het niet meer.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

You're right. I still have a very limited amount of Xanura, namely 2. Their score is 100% regarding reliability. But it's only 2, so...

I noticed PLCBUS suffers from noise just as Xanura: in my office there's a lot of noise, neither PLCBUS nor Xanura worked reliable there. So don't believe what is said about noise regarding PLCBUS.
Another thing i noticed is this.

When i switch off a whole livingroom in a short period (first TV/Audio stuff with PLCBUS and also 6 lamps with PLC2027, all in 1-2 seconds), PLCBUS doesn't respond anymore for a short period. Sometimes 1 or 2 lamps don't switch off. I have to wait for a short time (minutes) and then everything seems to be Ok again. That's bad.

When i first switch off the lamps and TV/Audio as last in the sequence, everything keeps working Ok. I don't know why this happens. So when you know this you can work around it, but it surely doesn't give a 'good feeling'.
pyotr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by pyotr »

Thanks, I think I'll go for PLCBUS for my first domotica project: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2001

As the exchange rate of the UK pound is plummeting I may even buy some extra modules to play with [:)]

Return to “PLCBUS Forum”