Need help setting up house codes for 2 load modules

Forum about PLCBUS devices & software.

Moderator: Digit

flossytots
Starting Member
Starting Member

Need help setting up house codes for 2 load modules

Post by flossytots »

I have some 2 load modules installed on lights 2264D which are controlled independently by two momentary switches. How do I program these 2 load modules? There is only one reset button on the module itself, how do I program the second address? eg I want house code 1 to be H1 and house code 2 to be H2
I'm using the software developed by Kevin Lo and written in VB6 and located at:
http://x10-hk.com/store/download/PLCBUS ... ithOCX.zip
Any advice would be appreciated
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Need help setting up house codes for 2 load modules

Post by Digit »

Most of the times (all I know), when you set the address to C5, the second address becomes C6.
So just follow the manual and after setting that single first address, you'll also have programmed the 2nd automatically.
flossytots
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by flossytots »

Thanks Digit,
The modules that I have were purchased from 10hk.com and I've recently found out that they may be slightly different firmware to the ones purchased in the Netherlands (I'm in Australia).
They came with brief standard instructions which are used for all the various modules. In the instructions it just mentions to send the first address and then send the second address via the interface (1141). In the instructions it doesn't follow the format that you suggested ie if the first address is H1 then the second address will be set to H2. I'm using software developed by 10hk.com and written in VB6, there is no option to select the second address. Maybe the reset button is pressed, the module waits for the first address and then when it receives one, it automatically waits for the second address to be sent? Just not sure, does anyone know?

This is the instruction for setting up the addresses:
"Main Address Settings:
1. Press and hold the setup button for 5 seconds and the light indicator will flicker once.
2. Release the setup button and both the light indicator and the load will remain ‘On’ to indicate that you are now in the ‘program
mode’.
3. Use any PLCBUS controller transmit the PLCBUS address to the micro module e.g. send “A02 ON”.
(For Two Load model, just transmit the PLCBUS addresses to the micro module e.g. send “A02 ON”, and then “B05 ON”, A02
is for Load one, and B05 is for Load two.)
4. The LED indicator and the Lamp will turn OFF to indicate that the address has been set.
5. The Micro Module will exit the ‘program mode’ if no action is taken after 8 seconds."

Thanks
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Those instructions look pretty straightforward to me.
Have you tried it?
Pushing & releasing that single reset button, sending 2 different addresses (which means changing the comboboxes in the software in between those 2!) shortly after each other and wait for 8 seconds to exit program mode?
Cause if I read back what you told us here, you don't say that you tried and that it doesn't work, you just want to know "how".
But you *do* know, don't you?

So I can't help you any further for now?
homeVisu
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by homeVisu »

(1) Press and hold setup Button for 5 seconds until the indicator will flicker.
(2) Both lamps load 1 and load 2 go ON
(3) Transmit the PLC-BUS address for load 1
(4) Module confirm address receiving by short flashing indicator and the lamp load 1 goes OFF.
After this, module automatically goes to setup address load2
(5) Transmit the PLCBUS address for load 2 to module
(6) Module confirm address receiving by short flashing indicator and lamp load 2 goes OFF

Now you have setup both addresses.

You can find all PLC-BUS manuals here: http://www.plc-bus.info/downloads.php?cat=2

For better tests you can use PLC-BUS software controller homeVisu http://www.homeVisu.com.
Use at homeVisu setup section PLC-BUS bus-test to test each PLC-BUS command.
flossytots
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by flossytots »

Hi Digit,
No I did try and set the addresses and it didn't work, so I thought I must have been doing it wrong....seems I haven't, and it just doesn't work. When I send the addresses the interface buzzes so it is receiving the commands, unfortunately just the modules themselves aren't responding. Houses here are wired with a separate light and power circuit, so now I'm wondering if that is the problem?
Thanks
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

That could very well be the problem!
If it's not too much work, try to get both on the same circuit and try again.
flossytots
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by flossytots »

Thanks for the links homeVisu, your Java controller looks really good, and these manuals are a little more detailed so thanks!
by Digit » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:50 am

That could very well be the problem!
If it's not too much work, try to get both on the same circuit and try again.
Um that's kinda illegal to do here, the house we're setting this up in is brand new and the modules have been wired in by an electrician...so all done above board (I don't want to do anything that may void any insurance). I think we've ended up with around 3 lighting circuits and 3 power circuits, and I believe the cable used for power is a different thickness to the cable for lighting, so creating a mixed circuit may affect the circuit breakers and RCD's that are required here (however I'm far from being an expert on electrical installs). I will ask the electrician though if he can hook up a power socket on one of the light circuits for testing purposes, and if it works then I'm not sure what I'll need to do in the long term.
Thanks for the advice
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

So there is no way for you to get the PLC1141 controller on your lighting circuit (just temporarily to test, I mean)?
In that case, I think you have a problem. Maybe you need a phase coupler? Don't know your situation well enough...
Does your electrician know how PLCBUS works or did he just install the modules based on the wiring diagram and not knowing anything more about how those modules operate? In the latter case, I would invite him once more and explain the problem..
homeVisu
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by homeVisu »

First you have to check if your house installation is based on 3 phases or 1 phase.
Normally you have 3 phases as input.

If you have 3 power circuits and 3 light circuits, than normally one power circuit and one light circuit are on the same phase.

Connect your interface into first power circuit und check if you can control module.
If not you must plug in interface into next power circuit, and so on until you have found the power circuit that is on the same phase as the light circuit.

Be careful, check if your software is setup to 1-phase mode. When you send commands at 3-phase mode without 3 phase coupler your command is lost.
flossytots
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by flossytots »

Thanks for the advice guys,
House is definitely single phase only. The electrician knows nothing about PLCbus and yes only followed the wiring diagram. I have yet to ask about connecting to the light circuit, but should find out today. I'm thinking that the same problem would occur here with x10 also, so I will scour the internet for possible solutions.
Thanks again
flossytots
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by flossytots »

I did a bit of further research on the X10 (obviously because X10 is more popular in Australia than PLCBus) as I figured my problem of separate circuits must have been raised before. I read that so long as all the circuits are wired onto the same phase (which they are), then the signals should get across, which made me think that although I have the PC in the same room as the light module, the signal still has to go back to the main board and then back out to the room again. So now I am wondering if it may be the signal is not strong enough. Does anyone know of a repeater that is available for PLCBus, and mount in the main board?

I just got off the phone to the electrician also who is 'cool' with hooking up the PC to the light circuit for testing. This should confirm then if it is a signal strength problem. :)

Return to “PLCBUS Forum”