Too many options for a starter

Forum about Domotica Home Automation for dummies, is only for the real beginner questions.

Moderator: TANE

vanisher

Too many options for a starter

Post by vanisher »

I'm already lurking this forum for quite a while. A couple of days I registered.
I have read many, many, posts about domotica and starting with domotica.

What I miss is some kind of wiki attached to this forum with the information below.

Currently I'm orienting which equipment to use for the things i have in my mind. I don't have the possibility for a dedicated knx net or something. So wireless, and combination with LAN/powernet is what I'm able to use.

I bought a small low power consuming PC (Zotac ZBOX ID41) and Homeseer Pro.

Want i want to achieve:
* Reduce of power consumption with intelligent usage of lights etc
* Security (webcam images / movement sensors / lights
* Make things easy (when entering for example the toilet, the lights switches on)
* Light switching / dimming based on events and manual with a switch.
* Able to monitor temperatures in rooms
* Able to monitor doors / windows (security)
* Able to monitor humidity in the bathroom and turn on the vents when needed
* Able to use it for outside lights (leds??) in the garden (would love to get that powered with solarpower)
* Able to use it for watering the garden
* Able to monitor overall gas/electric/water usages
* Able to monitor individual power usage
* Able to control 'rolluiken'
* Able to control music in different rooms.
* Single switch to turn all lightning / power consumers of that are not needed while a sleep.
* almost endless list continuing.

It is not my goal to implement this all at once, but i want to make the right decisions to build my system future ready.b
My biggest issue is to choose which equipment to use for what purpose.

For example, rfxcom is needed for for example oregon temp monitoring:

LAN 433.92MHz receiver + transmitter. (is this the right choice)?

Plugwise is nice for energy monitoring i´ll guess.
Oregon for temp / humidity monitoring
rfxcom for overall gas / electric / water usage

I have read a lot about Zwave and Xanura, but what is wise to choose for light switching / dimming or is there a better alternative.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Too many options for a starter

Post by TANE »

Your base components are okay
Zotac and Homeseer pro.

What is important is Domotica is not to buy to much at the beginning. Just small steps for understanding domotica basics.
Rfxcom is a good add-on for all RF based domotica components.

If your budget is fine look at Zwave.
For low budget you van go for Kaku in combination with rfxcom.
for the rfxcom check out the new version RFXLAN. With build in receiver and transmitter.
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

I want to start 'small' indeed.

I think of starting with a combination of plugwise for power management and a minimum of 4 z-wave devices for some light switching.
But at the other hand xanura has an out of the box solution for mechanical vents. And another dillema is born :D
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Ventilation can also be good controlled using zwave.
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

Sow, back from vacation.

Is there beside plugwise another alternative for metering power consumption and/or switching inside the wallmount?
Plugwise is nice, but since they made there own closed protocol i think i would prefer z-wave or zigbee/xbee.

From a cost perspective i think z-wave/zigbee in combination with rfxcom for multiple sensors (like temp, humidity) is the best combination.
Am i right about that?
Alexander
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Alexander »

Alexander
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

Yes great, i think i'm convinced that plugwise is not my kind of thing, i more a fan over the 'open' solutions.

I'm looking for a z-wave solution build in (preferred) or an in between plug to switch (remote and locally).
And iḿ looking for a z-wave solution to just measure powerconsumption (fridge, freezer, thumbledryer etc etc).

Any suggestion on those?
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

I did quite some reading on ZigBee the last days, from what I saw most ZigBee devices have electricity meters in them.

see:
smartgateshop.eu/nieuw-binnen-gekomen/q ... igbee.html

for temperature etc..
digi.com/products/wireless-modems-perip ... p#overview

also their routers, extenders etc... have temp mesaurements:
digi.com/products/wireless-modems-perip ... p#overview

So my focus is currently on ZigBee :-) trying to bring down as much as I can, even if they would be a little more expensive than the oregon, its still worth it since the RFXCom trans/rec. is quite expensive itself.
mhn

Post by mhn »

Hi.

Just a little comment.

Be aware that QEES will make the Z-Wave versions first. They should be ready this autumn. The Zigbee versions will come later.

Regards
Morten
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

That is indeed on of the drawbacks of Qees, i have some spare time the next couple of months so it will be great to start already.

I was thinking of the following approach:

If i start with monitoring electricity (global) water and guess i have a could starting point to watch the current usage.
From there i can expand with power monitoring / switching for specific devices with build in z-wave or zigbee devices.
The biggest disadvantage of plugwise is that you are not able to switch locally, so plugwise is removed from the drawingboard.

Would jeelabs be a good starting point for monitoring the global stuff?
In the jeelabs starter kit is also a roomboard included, that would be a nice device to watch movement and switch off the lights when nobody is in the room.

still to many options :D
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

Anyone perhaps a push in the right direction?
WooTz
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by WooTz »

I can give some feedback where I ended my research for now.
I will base my system on both Z-Wave and ZigBee, I would prefer just ZigBee, however due to the availability of devices, I will have to use Z-Wave along.

My setup will be that for all switching, dimming etc... I use Z-Wave.
For measurements (temperature, humidity, gas etc...) I will use ZigBee. (Except electricity, because it is built in the QEES Z-Wave components).

One of my other points that I noticed is that I think it will be nice if the group (people on the forum) could standardise on standard modules. A lot of people are trying the same things but investing a lot of time.

One of the things for instance which could be nice is a standard RGB Led controller based on JeeLabs (or FEZ Mini) with an XBee module and standard software, documented etc...
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

Agreed! A kind of a standard setup to start with would be nice.

I will buy a jeelabs starterset to play with.

I only have to buy a new 'soldeerbouw' any tips for that?

For the z-wave devices I not decided yet, i prefer inline solutions (out of sight), but i can't decide which to use.
I also didn't find a z-wave / zigbee device to measure main electricity, gas and water usage.
mhn

Post by mhn »

You can messure electricity with this one http://www.northq.com/products/zwave/nq92021.html (If you can find a place to buy it.)

Regards
Morten
spierie

Post by spierie »

Hi vanisher,

I'm using quite a few Jeenodes now, great stuff and very flexible and open.

For a soldering iron, look at http://www.eleshop.nl/aoyue-936-soldeer ... -p-61.html
Very affordable and more then good enough.

Rgds,
Michel.

Return to “Domotica for Dummies Forum”