Introduction DomotiGa

Forum about Domotiga Open Source Home Automation for Linux.

Moderator: RDNZL

RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by RDNZL »

<h2>Introduction</h2><div align="left">DomotiGa is an Open Source Home Automation program written in Gambas basic.

In The Netherlands Home Automation is called Domotica, and since it is written in Gambas, I changed the last part of this word to 'Ga'. This results in one of the few words that don't have millions of hits in google, which is handy..
It runs on Linux and can read all kinds of sensor values, detect motion and it can schedule lights to turn on/off at certain times. By using an RFXCom receiver, Xanura CTX35 A10/X10 controller and/or a Midon TEMP08 1-wire interface and more ...

<h3>Why</h3>Why did you start writing yet another home automation program?

I have used Misterhouse for years. (I even created the -now very outdated- ia5 web interface) but like many of us lost the overview, it's simply to massive.
After looking at other 'so called open-source programs' it turned out that although they where called open-source they didn't have any code published, or you couldn't hardly call it a program.

When I was busy to create a trimmed down version of Misterhouse I came across Gambas basic. I tried to code the functionality I used then in Gambas, and this turned out to be rather easy! I even build support for interfaces not available in Misterhouse yet and Gambas's IDE is just great!

<h3>Status</h3>No code has been released yet, but there will be soon.
I'm no coder by nature, so don't expect top notch quality, but I will do my best to create a descent piece of software. And since it's gonna be Open Source, we can make it better together...

See the Supported Hardware topic for more up to date information about the status of various modules.

<h3>Want to help?</h3>I certainly can use some help developing this a bit more... This help can be in the form of tips and tricks, Gambas or Domotics related, ideas, brainstorm sessions, code snippets for new drivers (also example vb code is accepted), donations so I can write code to support new hardware, kudo's etc etc...
If demand is high I can set up a svn repository for example.

<h3>Gambas, what is it?</h3>Look here to get an impression:
http://gambas.sourceforge.org
http://gambasdoc.org

To install/compile it, you have to install Gambas first, the svn version of 2.9 is a good start.
To run DomotiGa you only need the gambas-runtime pkgs, but if you want to help develop or change it you need to install the IDE development pkgs too.
I will describe how to get a Linux machine running with Gambas in more detail soon, in a separate Gambas topic.
</div id="left">
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by Esteban »

I was already hoping for this section to appear soon. And what do I see just as I am about to go to bed? [:D] This is great RDNZL, and having it Open Sourced is awesome and will hopefully help it get well established.

It was about time somebody got a refined project like this one started, this could become the 'Homeseer for Linux' with the feature list and gear supported. Like other people I had already been drooling over the screenshot you posted in the barcode thread. I must say that it really looks 'pro'.

Although I don't think I'd be able to be of any service code-wise, I could maybe help you out with translating the program to french for it's first localization should you require it. Anyway, I will at least try to promote DomotiGa a little bit the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Esteban
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by RDNZL »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Esteban</i>
<br />Although I don't think I'd be able to be of any service code-wise, I could maybe help you out with translating the program to french for it's first localization should you require it. Anyway, I will at least try to promote DomotiGa a little bit the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Esteban
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I can use a French translator, I'm not good at it, I already made a Dutch and English one (have to be tested still, parts are not working correctly), Gambas IDE includes a nice translator tool which makes it very easy to do (if you know the language) :)
Noel

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by Noel »

I cannot help much at the moment, but if you need <b>free</b> web hosting for this project, than please let me know.
I've got several (linux :-) )servers in a DC.

<h6>Anyone interested in time travel meet me here last Thursday!!</h6>Image
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by Snelvuur »

Cant wait to try it out.. only thing i need to do is setup some gamba environment, which will be some work (to be real i never use xwindows, since i think thats whats windows is for) so i think i have to get started... :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by RDNZL »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />Cant wait to try it out.. only thing i need to do is setup some gamba environment, which will be some work (to be real i never use xwindows, since i think thats whats windows is for) so i think i have to get started... :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Look at the new sticky post called Gambas.
It describes how to build the latest version.
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by Esteban »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RDNZL</i>
I can use a French translator, I'm not good at it, I already made a Dutch and English one (have to be tested still, parts are not working correctly), Gambas IDE includes a nice translator tool which makes it very easy to do (if you know the language) :)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

As soon as I'll have changed the HDD on my Ubuntu box (need a new one, it died) I'll follow your instructions on getting Gambas running and have a look. ;)

Cheers,
Esteban

<i>Update: Ubuntu is back online. Gambas is ready as well.</i>
spierie

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by spierie »

Can anyone give an indication of the needed machine to run this on?

Im thinking of building a new server with an AMD Athlon X2 4850 CPU, should be energy efficient like an Atom platform, but with some more horsepower.

Already using Ubuntu on my server at home, an old AMD64 3500 machine. Will start investigating Gambas soon, the whole project looks very interesting to me.

Keep up the good work!!

Michel - Domotica newbie....:-)
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by Snelvuur »

michel@ rdnzl his machine is a EEE pc... so i would gues not a lot :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
spierie

Introduction DomotiGa

Post by spierie »

Thx Eric, didn't see it in the posts, there is just too much to read for a newbie.....

Michel - Domotica newbie....:-)
rongten
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Introduction DomotiGa

Post by rongten »

FYI, Domotiga runs perfectly as well on ARM, see http://pandaboard.org.

Difficult to have something some power efficient (and silent) than this :D

Cheers
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

Hi, nice to know.
Have you made any notes on how to install it?
I would like to document it here http://domotiga.nl/wiki/Domotiga/HardwareUsed
Regards, Ron.
ruichaos
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ruichaos »

Hi!
I`m a domotiga newbie and I have been having a problem to run domotiga. When i click on "execute" or "compile" on Gambas IDE 2.24, the following statement apears on the screen: . "Unknown identifier: Httpclient line 18 Bwired.module".
I`m asking you for help!

Thank you for your attention!
Best regards,

Rui Martins
generaleccentric
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by generaleccentric »

I'm having the same troubles: "Unknown identifier: HttpClient at line 18 in Bwired.module"
Ubuntu 12.04, Gambas 2.23.
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

First, it looks like you haven't installed or compiled the Gambas gb.net and gb.net.curl component.
Second, Gambas 2.23 is too old, and contains bugs, please upgrade to 2.24.0 or to Gambas3.
Regards, Ron.

Return to “DomotiGa Forum”