Philips TV jointSPACE support?

Forum about Domotiga Open Source Home Automation for Linux.

Moderator: RDNZL

RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Philips TV jointSPACE support?

Post by RDNZL »

Hi,

The latest Firmware (from 15/07/2010) for my Philips TV supports an open protocol called jointSPACE.
This version is a USB only upgrade so when you let your TV search for updates via de LAN/Internet it won't find it, you have to download it yourself to a USB stick and upgrade your TV.
With this you can build modules to be installed on the home screen, you can use the TV to display content from remote devices (via directFB)
and you can control your TV via the LAN/WIFI.

Are there any DomotiGa users who have a Philips xxxPFL9xxx series (or certain 8xxx series) TV like me, with some spare time who could help building DomotiGa support for it?
Would be nice to be able to control certain parts of the TV and to be able to have OSD from DomotiGa to your TV's without the need for extra hw.
Displaying your home automation status graphically etc...

There is a simulator for Linux (not tested yet), and SDK's for Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhone, even an Nintendo DS can display text on it... :P
The source is also available, so if anyone can build an Android SDK that would be nice too.. :wink:

Look here for more info...
http://jointspace.sourceforge.net/ Main site
http://jointspace.sourceforge.net/download.html SDK and sample apps
jointspace.sourceforge.net/projectdata/ ... _Linux.pdf One of the interesting presentations... Great work Philips...

It all looks very new, so more info and apps will appear soon I guess...
Regards, Ron.
sanderr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Philips TV jointSPACE support?

Post by sanderr »

Hi,

I have just released the tool JSTx as a BETA. JSTx is a basic command line utility that will allow jointSPACE commands to be sent to supporting displays. It is available for Linux (32-bit only for now) on https://sourceforge.net/projects/jstx.
The tool is written with Domotica like applications/advanced users in mind (hence: command line only), and is kept simple for now. Future plans include a client-/server-model and more primitives (such as image support).

Sander
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

Code: Select all

./JSTx -W 1280 -H 720 -w 1280 -h 25 -x 0 -y 0 -t "Testing DomotiGa OSD" -D 1 --dfb:remote=192.168.178.6,quiet
The above test works!
Now callerid, and other event information can be displayed on my tv without any extra hardware or running devices, great!
I will test interaction with the TV remote and other functions soon.
Regards, Ron.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

This is great!, I was planning to buy the new philips 21:9, my current philips has no lan :(
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

Also the android app remote is working great, I can turn the sound down with my nexus one if my children don't want to listen when I ask to lower the volume. :D Or switch channels...

I haven't tested the iPad/Phone app yet...

Philips is ruling when it comes to open-source sdk's and their TV's as far as i'm concerned...
DomotiGa knows if the tv is on, so all kinds of possible scenarios can be build, OSD: There is someone in front of door, open it? 1=yes, 0=no
It's all possible if I look at JSTx...
Regards, Ron.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Youtube video
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

Something remotely related; I have also bought a HTS9140 Blueray Soundbar for cheap (via friends with loads of "ING spaarpunten")
It has the same menu interface as my TV, and it also runs Linux, didn't try to see if this supports JointSpace too yet.
You have to enable it via the remote control once.

But it sure plays all of my 1080p MKV files directly from my Synology NAS perfectly, with DTS5.1, AC3, subtitles, the whole shebang.
So I don't need a seperate mediaplayer too... Philips is heading in the right direction.
I didn't succeed yet in displaying cover.jpg's while browsing media, but that's not a big issue for me.
Maybe a future firmware update fixes this.
Regards, Ron.
sanderr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by sanderr »

A new version of JSTx is available at https://sourceforge.net/projects/jstx (V0.11). This version will allow a more 'scripted' mode of operation as it can read from a text file (continuously...) and forward keys to the underlying application ('proxy mode') so you could keep watching TV while reading the latest News in the window below. Download it while it's fresh :)
Harry

Post by Harry »

i running the app on the iphone now, works great. it responses even faster then the remote control :P
i am using it whit the 21:9 cinema
are there intagrations for homeseer?
would be great i could control the tv trough the homeseer server.
ccc
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ccc »

sanderr wrote:A new version of JSTx is available at https://sourceforge.net/projects/jstx (V0.11). This version will allow a more 'scripted' mode of operation as it can read from a text file (continuously...) and forward keys to the underlying application ('proxy mode') so you could keep watching TV while reading the latest News in the window below. Download it while it's fresh :)
Hi Sanderr & others

do you know if JSTx works on an optware kind of environment, like a Synology NAS?
Did anyone try to compile it there?

tx
sanderr
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by sanderr »

Hi,

did not try to compile it on a NAS, but did make a build for the Nokia N900 (ARM-based) available on SF. So, a generic Linux embedded environment like an N900 - which *some* NAS typically are - could work. I do recommend static compilation, and I warn that I saw some issues regarding PNG usage on the N900 - your mileage may vary.

Good luck,

Sander
Mglath
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Mglath »

RDNZL wrote:Something remotely related; I have also bought a HTS9140 Blueray Soundbar for cheap (via friends with loads of "ING spaarpunten")
It has the same menu interface as my TV, and it also runs Linux, didn't try to see if this supports JointSpace too yet.
You have to enable it via the remote control once.

But it sure plays all of my 1080p MKV files directly from my Synology NAS perfectly, with DTS5.1, AC3, subtitles, the whole shebang.
So I don't need a seperate mediaplayer too... Philips is heading in the right direction.
I didn't succeed yet in displaying cover.jpg's while browsing media, but that's not a big issue for me.
Maybe a future firmware update fixes this.

Hi Ron,
Any luck on your question here? I'm on kind of the same quest. Also have a hts9140 soundbar (unfortunately full price form me) and I want to be able to controle it via my iPad.
I bought a synology nas that can stream the music, but with the current setup I need the tv to see what I'm selecting/playing. It should be possible to push the music form the nas to the soundbar in stead of pull it.
Hope some one can help here. The firmware of the hts is open source, but Im not techy enough for that.
RDNZL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by RDNZL »

I requested the open-source code from Philips the day after I got the soundbar, I received a 500MB file called "OSS HTS9140-12.zip" ;-)
Unpacked it's 1.36GB, a quick look reveals mostly Linux kernel module code... will take a look at the rest soon... but it's not very useful I guess..
Regards, Ron.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

I have created scripts that allow you to execute Jointspace commands through Homeseer.

PROBLEM: "hs.GetURL" uses an Internet Explorer engine which does not support JSON as it should (surprise, surprise)

So it actually doesn't work, unless you know a way to get this working. I probably could use WGET to call the URL's (haven't tested that) but that's not as nice.
You can use the ASP to directly call URLS that execute commands.

More info & downloads: domoticaworld.com/scripts/tv-control-ph ... l-philips/

Cheers
DJ
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

thanks DJ, really good jointspace information.

Return to “DomotiGa Forum”